Force plugin windows to stay on top?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Force plugin windows to stay on top?

Post by kelldammit »

Is there any way to do this in the windows (x64) version? I'm looking for similar behavior to the floated transport, where it stays on top regardless of selecting anything in the CW.
It drives me a little nuts to have to toggle windows whenever i move a fader, or select a cursor position/marker and suchlike...

Thanks in advance!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Force plugin windows to stay on top?

Post by Michael Canavan »

I doubt it's any different for Windows, so the answer is no, plug ins don't stay on top, but to MOTU's credit DP's plug ins don't disappear like Ableton Lives do when you select a different application like a browser etc. In OSX anyway the tilde key cycles through open application windows, and because the OS treats plug in windows like application windows, you can put them in another desktop, which I often do.

The transport is called Control Panel by MOTU, and you can have it float above all windows, just open up Preferences and there you go.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Ideally, DP would let you set "stay on top" status for specific windows. It is a OS X capability. The use of option ~ is one way to deal with it, but if there are a lot of plugins active, another approach is to only keep one Effects window open. You can access it with Shift-F and use it's menus to get to the channel and insert you want. When you need to shut all the effects windows to get pre-rendering right, you can do something like selecting the last Insert which will always be empty.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

Yes, I'd noticed that the native plugs do stay on top, as do some instruments (superior 2 seems to, for instance). That's what got me wondering.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Yes, as Baysawater said, Shift+F has been my friend in this well-known case.

If you're *allergic* to keyboard shortcuts, the DP shortcuts window exhibits a plugin icon.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Ulas

Post by Ulas »

In OSX, Mavericks, You can take DP fullscreen mode and plugins going to be top always.
Mac Pro
Late 2013
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Processor 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.4
DP : 8.06