DP8 Windows with Mackie Control

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Eddy Yates
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 Windows with Mackie Control

Post by Eddy Yates »

I can use the transport and mixing faders with DP and Mackie Control, but can't find out how to assign the other buttons to DP8 functions. Anybody have a link? Thanks.
4stripes

Re: DP8 Windows with Mackie Control

Post by 4stripes »

Well, once you set up a MCU or HUI controller, all of the buttons come with it--there is nothing to 'assign' besides the controller itself.

Take a look at the Mackie Control manuals on their website and DP's control surface info for MCU features in DP.
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Thanks for the answer, Stripes. I have the DP overlay. Problem is that none of the buttons work, just the faders and transport. Also, with all of the other software, you can re-assign the buttons to different functions. I would think that DP would have the same ability, but guess not. I could do that in Sonar easily. I called Mackie, and they said that each software has their own method for assigning buttons, thus my post on this forum. I have an email in to MOTU.
DP 8.06, Sonar X3e, Sony Sound Forge, Windows 7, 16 Gigs RAM, Intel Core i7 4.0 GHz, RME Hammerfall, UAD-2Duo, MOTU MIDI Express 128, MUSE Receptor VIP, Deagan Round-top Orchestral Bells, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Clavinet D6, UA 2-610
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/docu ... ontrol.pdf

I think you're confusing a dedicated control surface vs a MIDI controller. You cannot custom map anything on a control surface like the MCU or HUI. It's a defined fixed protocol for the functions on the hardware device.
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Not at all. As I said, it's easy to reassign functions on Mackie Control in Sonar. This is not to say I prefer Sonar, it'll just take a little time to become adept with DP, just as it would for any DAW. DP8 is phenomenal.
Here's Magic Dave's answer:
"Go to the DP Help menu and choose Control Surfaces Help. You'll find a pdf with complete instructions for the Mackie Control functions."
It was also answered on a previous post. Sorry. I missed it. http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... ie+control
DP 8.06, Sonar X3e, Sony Sound Forge, Windows 7, 16 Gigs RAM, Intel Core i7 4.0 GHz, RME Hammerfall, UAD-2Duo, MOTU MIDI Express 128, MUSE Receptor VIP, Deagan Round-top Orchestral Bells, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Clavinet D6, UA 2-610
Eddy Yates

Post by Eddy Yates »

Pretty much abandoned DP8 except for some simple recording. It's too slow for the film scoring I do, but will see how it works when new computer arrives.
As to Stripes' answer that you can't map MCU, of course you can. Sonar control surface menu allows you to map any of the sliders or buttons to do anything. MOTU should use that as a model. And forget the ipad controller. The reason I got the MCU is that moving sliders and knobs is what I like.