Audio Catching and Looping

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
blaguardia
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Audio Catching and Looping

Post by blaguardia »

Hello all! I have been using DP for the past couple of months and I do love it. However, I have been plagued with a strange issue: sometimes even a single MIDI instrument will catch and do this wierd loop even if I simply press and release a single note. I've also noticed that DP itself, as well as the MIDI response time, can be pretty sluggish considering my machine is no slouch.

Now before you suggest it, it's definately not a RAM issue. I have 16GB DDR3 ram, and in my biggest projects it's about half-way used up. I also suspected this was a power supply issue, so I upgraded. That got rid of a few unrelated things, but not this. I suspect it's just a sound setting in the os or my sound card that needs to be tweaked. Anyway, here are my specs:

ACPI x64-based PC
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM (Corsair XMS3)
SoundBlaster ZXR
NVIDIA GEForce GTX 650
Cooler Master V1000
Windows 7

Also, most of my projects use EastWest Complete Composer's Collection primarily.
Last edited by blaguardia on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Catching and Looping

Post by FMiguelez »

blaguardia wrote:sometimes even a single MIDI instrument will catch and do this wierd loop even if I simply press and release a single note.
I'm not sure what you mean by "weird loop".

Is it that DP loops a region upon playback? A selected region, perhaps?
Or do you mean some kind of internal instrument loop setting?

Is it a random thing, or does it happen when you do something in particular?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
blaguardia
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Audio Catching and Looping

Post by blaguardia »

I'm not sure what you mean by "weird loop".

Is it that DP loops a region upon playback? A selected region, perhaps?
Or do you mean some kind of internal instrument loop setting?
No, so say I have a guitar instrument set. Now i lay a single note in the track, and that's all there is (from a clean slate). When the playback gets there, it will play part of the sample, and then play it again, over and over. It was just supposed to be one single pick, as that is all there is on the MIDI track. I'm totally baffled by this, because to me it seems like this should be a sound card issue...but it's brand-new and it only really crops up in DP and much less in other apps/games/etc.
Is it a random thing, or does it happen when you do something in particular?
It's fairly random but odds are good it will happen whenever a sample is played.

Ack! Now I'm getting a horrible screeching noise! What the heck?