How can I re-record automation data without dropping notes?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ssb
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How can I re-record automation data without dropping notes?

Post by ssb »

I'm trying to use overdub to change some modwheel automation, but it's not working well at all. The old data just gets combined with the new automation so I have really funky curves that are trying to be both the new and the old. Yet if I turn off overdub, MIDI notes are erased even if I'm not touching the keyboard.

How can I get a proper overdub of MIDI automation?
Emid

Re: How can I re-record automation data without dropping not

Post by Emid »

ssb wrote:I'm trying to use overdub to change some modwheel automation, but it's not working well at all. The old data just gets combined with the new automation so I have really funky curves that are trying to be both the new and the old. Yet if I turn off overdub, MIDI notes are erased even if I'm not touching the keyboard.

How can I get a proper overdub of MIDI automation?
Unfortunately, as far as I know it cannot be done in DP. You need to delete all CC1 data and re-record the mod wheel data again. Cubase also overdub on the previous data. Only FL studio record it in the way you have mentioned.
reedster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by reedster »

Keeping the notes on a separate track from the automation data to prevents erasing notes.

Once the controller data is isolated, use punch-in and out along with overdub to help minimize manual corrections.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
ssb

Post by ssb »

reedster wrote:Keeping the notes on a separate track from the automation data to prevents erasing notes.

Once the controller data is isolated, use punch-in and out along with overdub to help minimize manual corrections.
If I do this though is there any way to maintain the automation being shown together in the sequence view?