Realtime update of waveform when moving audio?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Kraznet
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Realtime update of waveform when moving audio?

Post by Kraznet »

If I drag audio left or right in the sequence or track editor the waveform only updates when I've released the mouse. This makes it hard to make accurate adjustments based on waveform placement. Is there a way to overcome this? I'm sure there must be. I'm used to doing this in Samplitude/Sequoia. I made a video showing the comparison.

http://www.screencast.com/t/9fZJDYM5Yq

Thanks
Martin
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Realtime update of waveform when moving audio?

Post by buzzsmith »

I didn't watch the video, but with the audio selected, the left and right arrow keys will move it incrementally without forcing a redraw.

Turn off the grid for little tweaks.

Hope that helps...

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Using the arrows, you can set the amount it moves per click. It's the Nudge setting in preferences. I think that the default is 5 thousandths sec. which I find too coarse. I reset it to 1 thousandth for finer adjustment.

Different versions of DP have the setting in different menus. I forget where it's hidden in 8 - consult the manual.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Kraznet

Post by Kraznet »

Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to get used to using the arrows instead of the mouse.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The nudge command is fine, but it would be helpful if DP could show a shadow of the waveform when you move it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Kraznet

Post by Kraznet »

bayswater wrote:The nudge command is fine, but it would be helpful if DP could show a shadow of the waveform when you move it.
Yes I agree.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've gotten used to grabbing it right at the place I want to use as my reference point. When you grab the SB a thin line appears in the time ruler right where you grab it and moves as you drag. I realize it's not what you're looking for, but it's the next best thing.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

Nudge works, and selecting at the desired position in the clip works, but having the grid show through clips while redrawing the waveform as the clip moves make editing about as fast and easy as it can get.
I do seem to remember asking about this back when i was a mac user around v5.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.