New to DP; audio and stability problems.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rickshapiro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New to DP; audio and stability problems.

Post by rickshapiro »

I’ve been eyeing Digital Performer for a number of years but have been and still am a staunch Wintel user. I was happy to hear about the release for the Windows platform. I did try the 30 demo when it was first released but I ran into random stability issues. I cooled my heels until 8.05 came out. I was not able to extend the demo so I just purchased a version with the 30 day money-back guaranty agreement.

I’ve got up to speed by watching the Groove3 DP videos , the features and workflow seem optimal for the type of audio work I perform.

I am running Windows 8 64 bit with SP1 on a Dell XPS i7. For interfaces I use a Presonus 1818VSL, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 and a Tascam US1800. The 1818VSL is my main workhouse. The 18i8 is used for mobile work and the US1800 is just a backup.

Unfortunately, I’ve had nothing but grief so far with DP. Audio from the 1818VSL is completely garbled. I’ve tried different latencies, toggling the priority mode, sampling rates, different clock sources. The same distorted audio comes out of softsyths, live monitoring, and imported audio. ASIO4All does work but not the way to go for me, it does not support ADAT on the Presonus. I’ve tried moving the 1818VSL to USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports. None of these changes make a difference.

Switching to the Scarlett 18i8 I was able to get the audio working. Problem is that the 18i8 would randomly disconnect during a DP session. DP would then crash and I would have to power off/on the 18i8.

Now the US1800, works well and is stable although not the interface I can really use, I really need direct monitoring which the US1800 does not have, it also does not have the greatest preamps.

Next problem, although rewire works with Ableton Live, Reason 8 crashes every time when slaving to DP. Typically turning on audio monitoring causes DP to immediately crash. I’ve tried disabling the audio within Reason and disconnected any Reason MIDI devices.

So all in all, not having a great experience with Digital Performer.

I’ve opened up tickets with MOTU, Presonus and Focusrite. So far MOTU has come back with standard fare questions and things to try.

It is important to note that I run Ableton Live, Presonus Studio One V2, Cakewalk X2, Tracktion 5, Samplitude, Reaper and other Daws on this system. I have clients that have different needs. All these applications work flawless on my system with all interfaces.

I am going to continue to hack at getting DP stable and running. I will work with their technical support to try to resolve these problems but somehow I get the feeling DP is not fully baked on the Wintel platform.

MOTU has come back and said DP is working against these interfaces for them. I am sure many of you have no problems. But everybody’s configuration is different, we understand that, but there needs to be some tolerance for this within the capabilities of the software. Again I have half-a-dozen DAWs that work without issue.

I do hope I can resolve these issues, DP looks like an excellent product, MOTU has invested the time to make the Win/Tel version and I want to support that. I will do what I can to get it working but at some point I will have to cut my losses.

Regards,

Rick
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New to DP; audio and stability problems.

Post by stubbsonic »

Because DP's appearance in the Windows platform is so recent, most of the stalwart members of this forum are on the Mac platform. We hope you are able to get your issues resolved quickly. Hopefully someone from MOTU will chime in with an update on progress with the Windows version.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

@Rick Shapiro,

I am new to DP as of July - the Windows version.

I can tell you that I have had a handful of issues with it in terms of stability. Frustrating, as I can see the incredible potential it has. I am now sticking with my original DAW until DP8 improves a bit. I use it for editing tasks, which it excels at without a doubt.

To be fair, MOTU support has answered and tried to find solutions for every support ticket I sent. This being the case, consistent reliability is what I need.

Believe it or not, I have a MOTU Audio Express and FL Studio runs FAR better on it than DP8 does.

DP8 also needs a media browser of some sort. One of the only blatant flaws I have found with it.

I have great hopes for DP in the future, just crossing my fingers.
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
rickshapiro

Post by rickshapiro »

I am going to move on for now. The MOTU folks have been very helpful and professional but I do not have the time or energy to continue troubleshooting. I've tried different interfaces and computers and each are having their challenges

I really like what I've seem from DP as a DAW. I am tied to Wintel for now and cannot transition to apple.

I do hope MOTU continues to place the necessary effort into getting DP into a more resilient state.