motu mk3 ultralite. Analog input problem.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
de hunekop
Primary DAW OS: Windows

motu mk3 ultralite. Analog input problem.

Post by de hunekop »

Hi everybody,

So i just traded in my motu audio expres for the mk3 ultralite, because we started recording drums and needed more inputs. Everything is working fine exept the analog inputs are not comming in loud enough. Even when i turn them all the way up to the +22 they are comming in, but still not enough.
The digital in puts 1 and 2 doing fine, so my mics are ok.
I am using the same settings as with the audio expres, and didnt have the same problems then.

Allready spent a couple of hours trying to find this bug, but no results. Desperate in need of help right now. Would be for ever thankfull!!!!

de hûnekop
de hunekop

Re: motu mk3 ultralite. Analog input problem.

Post by de hunekop »

Just rang motu. They said i need to preamp these inputs to record drums Does anyone have exerience recording drums with the ultralite?

de hûnekop
Dangeroo

Post by Dangeroo »

Microphones have extremely low output. It's pretty much impossible to record a microphone into a line level input... you need a preamp to bring that level up to a useable level. The line level gain is only useful if you have a line level signal (like from a keyboard or drum machine) that is coming in a little weak. It is not meant to increase the level of microphone signals. The ultralite has 2 preamps built in that you can use. If you need more microphone inputs, you need to buy individual preamps or an interface like the 8pre that has preamps built in. Poke around Sweetwater or another site and you'll get an idea.
de hunekop

Post by de hunekop »

Yeah it all falls in place now. Guess im a bit to fast into buying things without doing the right research. Learning the hard way. Think i need the Motu 8pre motu USB audio interface.
8 inputs with pre amp and phantom power is all i need.
Thanx for the reply.