Save DP8 files on windows to open on DP7 Mac?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Billgonzo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Save DP8 files on windows to open on DP7 Mac?

Post by Billgonzo »

So im taking an audio design class at school where we use DP7 on MacOS and I have been working with DP8 on my windows PC and I want to know if I can save my project to where I can open it on my computer at school. I know that I can save my project as a DP6 file but i notice that, when I do, it has the same file extension as a DP8 file. Will I be able to open my project on DP7 if I save it this way?
Asus G73SW
Intel i7 2630QM Quad Core
8gb DDR3
x2 1TB HDD
FantomX8 Workstation
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Save DP8 files on windows to open on DP7 Mac?

Post by Prime Mover »

DP, unlike most other DAWs and production programs, tends not to change their file types with every update, and maintains backwards/forwards compatibility for quite a few versions. In fact, I'm not sure at what point files become incompatible, it may simply that features degrade down the farther you go, but the files will still open, but don't quote me on that. At the very least, DP7 and DP8 are 100% compatible.

The reason being is that DP has added absolutely no new data structures over the last number of versions. The updates have added new interface elements to create and manipulate data, but that doesn't impact the types and style of data that gets written.

I'm not sure why this isn't more common. We use Adobe Premiere at work, and they break compatibility with every integer update, and even at .5 updates. It's ridiculous, and I don't even understand why. Like DP, Premiere hasn't really added any new data structures between many of their versions, just ways of manipulating data. I suspect that their reasoning is slightly more sinister: it requires EVERYONE to update, or be incompatible with each other. They do it to sell more updates.

Thank you MOTU for not being evil.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy