DP8 - Audio preview without importing to soundbites

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
John Judd
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 - Audio preview without importing to soundbites

Post by John Judd »

Hi Guys,

Just looking for a possible workaround for what I see as an EPIC shortfall of DP8 for Windows:

Importing audio: There is no ability to preview audio in DP8 (for Windows specifically) without importing it first. DP8 is amazing all around and I am a huge fan, but this one shortcoming is a workflow killer and I can't imagine why they missed it.

Anyone have any word on if they will be fixing this?

Anyone have a workaround?

Thanks in advance for any help,

John
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 - Audio preview without importing to soundbites

Post by buzzsmith »

I don't know about Windows, but on a Mac you can select a soundbite (actually, almost any file) and hit the space bar which quickly opens a "preview" and plays the soundbite.

Maybe Windows has something similar??

Buzzy
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

John Judd

Post by John Judd »

Hi buzzy,

Thanks for the idea, but it appears to be Windows specific. I had talked with support weeks back and they confirmed that Windows DP8 couldn't preview audio audio unless it was actually imported. It is like driving a Ferrari with a flat front tire. They sent me to the suggestion box, which I did send my input.

Just looking for any ideas/workarounds/word of mouth about Motu fixing it/etc.

Thanks!

John
DP 9.5, Windows 10 64bit, i7 7700k @ 4.5 ghz, Asus Maximus Hero IX MOBO, 32Gb Ram, GeForce 750ti Strix edition, Samsung M.2, Be Quiet Case + PSU + CPU Cooler + Fans, a bunch of WD drives.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

DP uses the OS file dialog to import audio. If you want to preview a lot of files, it's not very friendly, but a work around is: in the file import dialog, right-click on the file you want to preview, select Open With and pick whatever app works best for you. In my case I have Quicktime for Windows installed and can use that. Maybe there's something like a Workspace Browser ala PT somewhere down the line - the suggestions box is a good start. You may also be able to open the Preview Pane in the file dialog, but for whatever reason OS audio preview does not work here in Win8.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

I have used PT and that browser was fine. I have used FL for the last 8 years and that browser is the best that exists, in my opinion.

I hope Motu works something out with this.
Ulas

Post by Ulas »

I bought Cockos Reaper just for it's media browser. I can directly drag and drop files from media browser to DP8.
Mac Pro
Late 2013
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Processor 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.4
DP : 8.06
Tesionman

Post by Tesionman »

Ulas wrote:I bought C••••• R••••• just for it's media browser. I can directly drag and drop files from media browser to DP8.
good idea!!
Get Real Live Drum Tracks @ http://www.hugoribeiro.com

Macbook Pro | DP 10.13 | Motu 8Pre (x2) | Apogee Duet 2
Sonor Drums | Sabian Cymbals | Remo Drumheads | Vater Drumsticks
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Doesn't the Windows Browser preview audio files?
I'm one who uses a DAWs browser only when I have to, as usually the OS browser is faster, plus you can keep it open to a specific file etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
John Judd

Post by John Judd »

In DP8.04, the Windows browser does NOT allow for any audio preview.
In order to actually listen to a file, you are required to import it to the sound bites.

Imagine if you couldn't listen to any audio until you imported it. Need a kick drum? Okay, import half of your kick drum samples into DP8, listen and find the one you want, then delete the rest. This slows workflow horribly.

And as for the guys above, buying a separate program to deal with the shortcomings of DP8 seems ridiculous to me. Although I did buy DP8 to deal with shortcomings of another DAW. Hmmmm.

And being that this forum is Motu specific, but not Motu affiliated....were you speaking of Cuckoos Reaper above, Ulas?

I am crossing my fingers for 8.05.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I doubt that this is impossible to do. Some creative routing in DP is probably all it takes. I'm not a Windows person so I can't tell you how to do it. Perhaps someone here who does Windows can figure this out. Or, contact MOTU.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Ulas

Post by Ulas »

Yes I talked about Reap*r. It's cheap ($60) and it's media browser reads everything.(wav, mp3, rex, acid loops, video files....) You can preview waveform and there is a pitch up/down knob on it...
Mac Pro
Late 2013
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Processor 3,7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.4
DP : 8.06
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

After some checking I found that the Windows Media Player has a preview handler that will allow you to preview files in the DP Import Audio file dialog box and the File Explorer if the Preview Pane is open or you can right-click the file and select Play. You need to assign whatever file extensions you want to preview to WMP in the Default Programs control panel (i.e. WAV, AIF, AIFF, MIDI, etc.). This will be problematic for some who are running Windows 8 because the Media Center Pack is a chargeable add-on through the Add Features (instructions and pricing here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ture-packs). It's included in Win7 and lower. I'll never figure out what these guys were thinking by removing features and nickel diming people to get them back. They back-paddled and put it up free for the first few months after the Win8 release because of all the complaints. Oh well . . . Anyway, it's the only app I found that has an audio preview handler that works - doesn't mean there aren't others. Maybe something like Winamp or whatever that media player was - I'm stopping at WMP.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1