DP Crashes - Reverbs + Kontakt, other plugs don't mix

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP Crashes - Reverbs + Kontakt, other plugs don't mix

Post by mesayre »

Hey everybody,
I'm a longtime Sonar user considering jumping to DP, so I'm trying to test out all my VI's with the demo to see if they'll work. I've run into a funny problem with Kontakt that I'm hoping you can help me with.

If I create a project, create a V-rack within it to host all my VI's, insert Kontakt on one channel, and then try to insert any of the fancy reverbs on that channel, DP chokes. It does nothing. Just freezes until I crash out. I should note that it seems to be OK with the lightweight algorithmic verbs, it's just the good ones (ProVerb, LiveRoom) that freeze.

I also tried these exact same steps with Akai's Aria plugin for my wind controller; Akai on one channel of a V-rack, then trying to add Proverb or LiveRoom crashes DP.

I also tried skipping the V-Rack and just adding Kontakt as an instrument track in a regular sequence chunk. Same problem. In all the cases I mention, there's nothing else in the project, and the crash occurs without even loading anything within Kontakt.

Currently running:
Kontakt 5.2.1
DP 8.04 Demo, 64-bit
Windows 7x64

I'd really appreciate your help working this out in short order. I'm really liking DP so far and am 95% sold on the switch, but this sort of thing is a dealbreaker for me :-(

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Mike
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Crashes - Reverbs + Kontakt, other plugs don't mix

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

For highly scripted instruments in particular, try to put VIs on separate tracks. IOW, an intense Kontakt instrument might be on its own channel. What this does is allow the VI to take advantage of multi threading.

You might also try using a master fader to place the reverb or sending the VI to an aux track and placing the VI in the aux track to spread the load.

If the machine can't keep up you might try hosting the VIs outside DP. On a Mac we use jbridge or Plogue Bidule. Not sure about PC options.

Hope that helps.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: DP Crashes - Reverbs + Kontakt, other plugs don't mix

Post by mesayre »

Hi MLC,
Thanks for the reply.

I was actually able to resolve the problem. The machine is pretty new, so it wasn't a processing/scripting issue. It was a conflict between multiple versions of Kontakt's DLL. Native Instruments provides both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Kontakt by default at every install. That's nice of them, but those DLL's have the same name! There's no way to tell them apart either in or out of a DAW unless you rename them, which I had done. But DP didn't like that there were multiple renamed versions of the same thing. So I just deleted the 32-bit versions, which I hope to never need again, and things are going swimmingly now. I'll just have to remember that I did that every time NI pushes an update.

With apologies to the wizards at MOTU! Not your fault!

Mike
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB