about virtual instruments

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
SIC001
Primary DAW OS: Windows

about virtual instruments

Post by SIC001 »

I'm now currently using the demo version of dp8.

I would like to know is there any virtual instrument that included in dp originally can create sounds of acoustic instruments, because it's seems many of them create electric sounds. However,what I want is just some simple piano,drum,string,etc.

Besides, could you guys recommend some virtual instruments that are cheap and nice as plug-ins?

Thank you very much.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: about virtual instruments

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Best bang for the buck is probably Plugsound Pro. For all the high end stuff I have, it remains a great set if useful acoustic and electronic instruments.

As for MOTUs VIs I have yet to actually use one for any project. I've tried but they just don't cut it IMO.

http://www.uvi.net/en/composer-tools/plugsound-pro.html
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
SIC001

Post by SIC001 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Best bang for the buck is probably Plugsound Pro. For all the high end stuff I have, it remains a great set if useful acoustic and electronic instruments.

As for MOTUs VIs I have yet to actually use one for any project. I've tried but they just don't cut it IMO.

http://www.uvi.net/en/composer-tools/plugsound-pro.html
But how can I install VST instruments in dp?
MIDI Life Crisis

Just like anything else. Run the installer.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
isherwoodme

Post by isherwoodme »

Thanks for posting this. I am having the same issue.
I've been looking for a single decent piano vi plugin. All the stock instruments sound amateurish.
Pro Tools 9 (that I already own) has hundreds of amazing pro-sounding stock plugins.
I wanted to like DP, I really did. I like the layout and the customization features. I just wanted a piano sound.
I even posted a very basic question on the MOTU FB page about where can I find a simple stock piano vi in DP-08. They deleted my post. Nice, eh?
Thanks for your straight-forward answer - finally, after messing with DP for a week.
Guess my money's going in another direction.
Keep In Tune!
isherwoodme
http://isherwood.me
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

MOTU has been concentrating their focus more on production effects rather than VIs. I think the sentiment is that there are a million VI packages out there, and no box-in instruments are going to come close to what they can offer. However, effects are much more tied in with the whole inner-workings of a DAW (on old analog boards and hardware workstations EQ and sometimes compression were built-in), so there's more of a push to integrate high quality mixing/mastering plugins, of which DPs has some of the best which often rival top 3rd party developers. The intent is to make DP an environment where you can "mix right out of the box". Virtual Instruments are a good step removed from the ins and outs of a production environment, in some cases they are run in external standalone software, or even on other computers, so its not surprising that there's less emphasis on bundling them in with the mixing environment.

I know it makes DP a slightly less attractive starter package, but I believe MOTUs intent is for people to build the best and most personally viable library of tools that they can, instead of packaging in a bunch of good-but-not-excellent VIs. Keep in mind that their main target has traditionally been higher-level film and tv composers and audio producers, most of which wouldn't usually give two ****s about bundled VIs.

I've never heard anyone say, "the best ____ VI on the market is logic's ____", yet you consistently hear people saying, "I'll pass on buying an expensive multi-band compressor, because DP8s Dynamic EQ can stand toe-to-toe with the best of them" (which it can). I think that's a more realistic approach, but it's a more long-term investment mindset.

Not that I would complain if they started bundling Mach5 in with DP, though I've built up a very competent hand-picked VI library that I like working with, so I probably wouldn't bother anyway.

The few VIs they do include seem to be more aimed at the "sound generation" variety, which fits in a bit more with the overall philosophy of mixing-in-the-box. I could use a sinewave generator for sub-bass triggering, some of the pads for beefing up backing tracks. I'm not sure this was their exact intention, but they do feel a little more closely related than a sampler piano VI.

PS: If you already own Logic 9, those AU VIs should work in DP8 anyway (as long as they're 64bit).
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

isherwoodme wrote:I even posted a very basic question on the MOTU FB page about where can I find a simple stock piano vi in DP-08. They deleted my post. Nice, eh?
I guess that was a very basic answer. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis

It's pathetic when you give someone the answer they need and they act like they're these wounded birds who don't have a clue.

PSP has a decent piano and a lot more. If you want a VI set, buy a friggin' VI set. If you want a DAW, buy a DAW. If you want mediocre crap, then buy GarageBand and have done with it.

Why do I get the feeling these guys are all like 14 years old?

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There's no need to insult 14 year olds.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
MIDI Life Crisis