DP for Windows in 2013?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
steff3
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP for Windows in 2013?

Post by steff3 »

Hello,

I used DP on Mac for some time. Now I had to get a PC for work - convertible with touch screen - and as there is no DP version (or any other reasonable MIDI sequencer) for iPad I thought - well, have a look at DP8 on the convertible. Would be nice to use while sitting at my digital piano ....

Running Windows8. here the interface does not behave correctly. Plugins (stock DP plugins like MW EQ, etc.) do not display correctly. Plugin window is not sized correctly and move detection is off - trying to adjust the gain on band two change BW on band 3 or so.

Another point - in Windowsland we have now Win8 with multi-touch. The GUI of DP is absolutely not useable with touch. It seems one cannot resize the transport control, not to speak about the take drop down in sequence window.
And the relatively high resolution displays (1920 x 1080 on 12.5") - DP is really not made for that.

This are just principal usability issues one should thing should have been considered when entering Windows platform. its 2013 and win8 with multi-touch - but definitely not DP8 on it. Would have been nice though .... a shame ....

any other experiences with Win8 and touch?

Best,
Steff
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP for Windows in 2013?

Post by monkey man »

Just curious:

Which other serious DAWs are available with touch-screen functionality?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

There's GarageBand. And there's that thing Shooshie bought once. I think it's here.
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/10- ... -574065/10

More to the point, why would you want a touch sensitive DAW. Having a few functions like faders, if that's your thing, but a whole DAW?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Agreed, Baysey.

It sure would affect my tried-and-tested bolus pooperfungi.

It makes sense that Apple appears, from what you've said, to be the only company offering 'em, what with their steering the masses down that path. I've never owned an i anything, and until they stop transmitting gremlins into the air that knock me around I can guarantee I never will.

Your point is a salient one - apart from fader action (still nowhere near as good as hardware), why on earth would you want this? It'd surely be fatiguing, futzing around hither and thither.

EDIT: I used the term, "salient" incorrectly as there were no other arguments offered, and it therefore could not have stood out in any way. I reckon most folks would know what I was getting at though. Sorry for the lexical distraction.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
jbyerly1

Post by jbyerly1 »

I'd say give them some time. Let them get there feet firmly planted with this new platform and I think you will see industry leading ideas start to sprout from motu. No real reason to say that other than why would they go this direction if they did not think they could compete and win.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
steff3
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by steff3 »

Me, I do not want a fully charged touch sensitive DAW - I would like to have a great MIDI and audio recorder with great functionality for on the instrument recording. DP MIDI and Polar and takes would be nice ....
But the interface is not up for this.

Maybe Cubasis on the iPad? Or Cubase on PC (expensive and well, too often burned by Steinberg and dongle ....)

best
Wolfie2112
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Wolfie2112 »

monkey man wrote:Just curious:

Which other serious DAWs are available with touch-screen functionality?
Sonar X2. And yes, it is a serious DAW.

http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar/touch.aspx
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I can't see holding my arms up all day at a computer screen. Maybe if it was a horizontal screen at table height you could rest your arms on like a desk, but even then it seems unlikely you could develop a good workflow given all the other stuff you typically have to access in addition to the computer UI.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:I can't see holding my arms up all day at a computer screen.
+1. It sounds like it would be fatiguing after a while.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!