why is dp8 such a cpu hog?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
proto
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

why is dp8 such a cpu hog?

Post by proto »

Ok I haven't even loaded any vsti no audio tracks and my performance levels are already flashing up. Using Motu mk3 ultralite - DP8 is great but I think Motu really gotta optimize this software for its own windows drivers!
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: why is dp8 such a cpu hog?

Post by Guitar Gaz »

If you gave us some information about what version you are using, what OS version, whether you are 32 or 64 bit, what machine you are using - maybe someone could give you an informed answer. I would say to you - is DP8 a cpu hog? Not for me it isn't - see my info below which tells you which systems and machinery I am running. I don't know about the Windows version - but maybe if you gave more background information someone could help you.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
proto

Post by proto »

sure - Im running windows 8 with 8 gigs ram on a dual core. my audio interface is an ultralite mk3 im using the current drivers and hardware is updated.
I also use reaper and while reaper is a FAR cry from dp8 - I have more than enough processing power.

I don't need a lot of vsti and effects.

the strange thing is that the processing meter starts jumping all over when I open dp8 and just press play. no vsti or audiotracks!
I must be doing something wrong!

Thanks for your reply but I am looking at your stats and you are using a mac. Is anybody using a window machine that can reproduce this?>
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

In Windows, is there something that will tell you the load on the CPU? Does it agree with DP?

In the Mac version of DP, the CPU meter will often tell you usage is very high, even overloading, while the OS reports that it is barely awake. Maybe something similar is going on in the Windows version. I turned the CPU meter in DP off a long time ago.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:In Windows, is there something that will tell you the load on the CPU? Does it agree with DP?

In the Mac version of DP, the CPU meter will often tell you usage is very high, even overloading, while the OS reports that it is barely awake. Maybe something similar is going on in the Windows version. I turned the CPU meter in DP off a long time ago.
+1
proto

Post by proto »

thanks everybody for taking time - I checked task manager and right out of the gate open new project no tracks press play and dp8 uses 12% of my cpu.

in contrast r e a p e r uses 0.8 (zero point eight)

im not here to say reaper is great and dp sucks. I love dp but as of now its killing my comp.

the performance meter definitely is reflecting true performance because I get 2 vstis on my comp and it sputters and I gotta either freeze or bump up the audio buffer. usually both

any other windows users have similar results? any advice welcome...please advise