DP8 For Windows, New to DP8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 For Windows, New to DP8

Post by jsg »

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing several issues, the most serious are dropped (missing) MIDI notes and notes that have an unintentionally long release time. I've double checked my event list to be certain there are no cc release time alterations. This is happening while sending MIDI data out of my DAW via a MOTU MIDI interface to a dedicated VSL computer, also with a MOTU MIDI interface. It's happening frequently, very frequently, but not every time I play back the sequence.

I am also unable to record audio from a MIDI track. I hear the instrument, it is going through my mixing board and I see the signal on my board's meter. I have the correct inputs and outputs set in bundles, and also in the audio track. I have "record" pressed on the audio track, I hear the MIDI track playing, but the audio track's waveform is just a straight line, no signal is being recorded.

Finally I am getting weird messages, like DP cannot find my audio interface, which happens to be a MOTU 2408 mk3 with the very latest drivers from MOTU!

I've been working in this medium full time since 1985 and have used Sonar exclusively for 22 years. I like DP for Windows but these issues obviously make production impossible, as of now that is.

Any insight is much appreciated...

Jerry Gerber
http://www.jerrygerber.com
Wolfie2112

Re: DP8 For Windows, New to DP8

Post by Wolfie2112 »

I went back to Sonar X2 (and Logic on Mac). I tried everything to get DP to recognize certain VST's (Kontakt, Play, etc) in 64bit mode (yes, all the plugs are 64bit) with no luck. A real disappointment. I'm going to try it on Mac and see if it's any different.

The diehard users just say I'm too used to my regular DAW, but that is just plain rubbish. I professionally use X2, Logic, Cubase and PT on a regular basis.....and I can honestly say that DP is not user friendly at all IMO.
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by corbo-billy »

I agree that D.P. is not easy to tackle at the beginning: not scanned for Plug-ins, have you tried to boot into 32-bit version with DP
As with LOGIC, it helps to scan the Plug-ins and Virtual Instruments _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
proto
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by proto »

sorry if this doesn't help or you are aware but did you try

----setup - ---input monitoring mode ---- monitor thru effects??
jsg

Post by jsg »

Wolfie2112 wrote:I went back to Sonar X2 (and Logic on Mac). I tried everything to get DP to recognize certain VST's (Kontakt, Play, etc) in 64bit mode (yes, all the plugs are 64bit) with no luck. A real disappointment. I'm going to try it on Mac and see if it's any different.

The diehard users just say I'm too used to my regular DAW, but that is just plain rubbish. I professionally use X2, Logic, Cubase and PT on a regular basis.....and I can honestly say that DP is not user friendly at all IMO.
Yeah, its a disappointment for me too, I cannot get DP to stop dropping MIDI notes, nor can I stop it from generating MIDI notes that hang, long after they should have stopped playing. The message I get at startup says it cannot find my audio card, which happens to be a MOTU 2408 with the latest drivers! I really like the interface, and I don't find DP difficult to learn at all. But it's useless as a production tool so for now I am continuing to use X2, which is very stable on my system.

JG
www.jerrygerber.com
proto
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by proto »

Hi Jerry does DP use a lot of cpu on your windows machine?
jsg

Post by jsg »

proto wrote:Hi Jerry does DP use a lot of cpu on your windows machine?
Well, I cannot say because I removed it from my DAW. I spent an hour with MOTU tech support and they have no idea as to why MIDI notes are being missed, audio won't play, a hardware synth's notes are being triggered even though there's not any ports/channels/tracks directing data to it (and there is not any re-routing of MIDI data) and I am getting messages saying DP doesn't see my MOTU 2408mk3 with the latest drivers that Sonar X2 sees fine...

Quite disappointing because I committed myself to learning DP after 22 years with Sonar. Sonar is working great compared to DP, no crashing, very solid MIDI performance, audio is great... My DAW is strictly a music production machine, built and configured for optimal audio/MIDI performance. Very disappointing, DP is not difficult to learn and I really like the interface. But it's unusable on my computer...

JG
www.jerrygerber.com