DP8 64 Bit Windows and Reason 6.53 Rewire Crashing

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bigbeatpro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 64 Bit Windows and Reason 6.53 Rewire Crashing

Post by bigbeatpro »

Trying to isolate what might be causing DP8 to crash while attempting to play MIDI on buss of Reason rack. Audio seems routed fine. I get sound when I create a stereo audio track and assign it to Reason Mix L-R. The transport locks and moves reason but when I route MIDI, it crashes consistently.

Wondering if anyone else is successfully using Reason 6.53 in Rewire mode or if anyone has similar issues that they have resolved or reported. Have I missed some critical step in setting up communication between the two programs? Also, I noticed something quite weird with SYNC RECORDED MIDI TO PATCH THRU. If selected, no matter what else I change, my recordings are 240 pulses off. In detail: Set up click, countoff, push record, hit note on first downbeat after count in completes and the note does not show up at 1.1.0 but 1.1.240. It's not quantize. After hours of dicking around. I turned off the SYNC RECORDED MIDI TO PATCH THRU and VIOLA!! My note records on the downbeat. Just thought I'd throw that in. I really want to buy and use this software. I am using the demo now. Hopefully a moderator or someone at MOTU is reading these comments on the DEMO.

Just starting to work with DP8 on PC. Been a Mac user many, many, many years :lol: Nothing special about my rig. Windows 7, 64 Bit, I7 920@2.67 GHz, 9GB of ram. Only VST's currently installed for evaluation Native Instruments Komplete 6 with latest updates. Using Audio Kontrol 1 interface with ASIO.

Any and all comments solicited and welcome//// heeeeeeeeelp :banghead:
Guitar Gaz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 64 Bit Windows and Reason 6.53 Rewire Crashing

Post by Guitar Gaz »

It works fine on the Mac as I run this all the time - you don't say which version of DP you use but I presume its the latest one? And I presume you are running Reason in 64 bit as well?

So is this a Windows issue? Or is it an issue with other plug ins or other software? Or is it a memory issue? If DP and Reason run okay separately, then there is no issue with those versions - and Rewire is pretty solid.

Sorry I can't help more as I don't have DP on Windows yet to compare.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bigbeatpro
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by bigbeatpro »

Thanks for the suggestions. The title contained the rig setup :D TO ANSWER MY OWN QUESTION: "Yes I Did Miss Some Critical Step." :lol: As usual IAK (Idiot At Keyboard) was to blame for part of my problem. I was ASSUMING rewire and Reason would open in 32 bit mode with a 32 bit host. Turns out Reason 32bit is not automatically installed and needs to be installed from your disk or download package seperately. So a mismatch between the 32 Bit DP and the 64 Bit Reason was likely causing the crashes in 32 bit. When I installed the 32 bit Reason and matched it with the 32 Bit DP8 it no longer crashed upon selecting a Reason rack module through the DP8 buss selection. It did however have latency LIKE HELL. So that is a no go. I am running 44.1/24bit with one track open and one module in the Reason rack to test. ASIO set at 256 latency with a 1ms buffer. Seems the two DAW's together are maybe too much in 32 bit mode for me. Although my processor does not view strained.
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by daniel.sneed »

Reason and DP thru Rewire, no noticeable latency at buffer 128 here, 32 nor 64bit. On Mac 10.8.3 OS though.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...