DP installer very slow

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP installer very slow

Post by kdm »

Takes about 15 minutes to install the 8.0x updates. Way slower than any other application - ProTools, Nuendo - all install in a couple of minutes.

Anyone else seeing this as well?
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP installer very slow

Post by NazRat »

Yes - on Windows 7 Ultimate. The plugs were especially slow. A Win8 install was much faster, but still slow. The Win7 install was on a Mac Mini under BootCamp - Win8 was an HP laptop.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

NazRat wrote:Yes - on Windows 7 Ultimate. The plugs were especially slow. A Win8 install was much faster, but still slow. The Win7 install was on a Mac Mini under BootCamp - Win8 was an HP laptop.
Is there an advantage to running DP under windows in Boot Camp, rather than running it under OS X?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

bayswater wrote: Is there an advantage to running DP under windows in Boot Camp, rather than running it under OS X?
No. I just have BootCamp setup for testing and to have access to a PC in the studio if I need it. I installed it to test the Windows/Mac session file compatibility with Windows HFS+ drivers, but haven't gotten to that yet. DP is better/smoother on OSX, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise. Great first effort though. Once they get a few of the little quirky things worked out, price-performance might tip the scales to the PC arena.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

NazRat wrote:Once they get a few of the little quirky things worked out, price-performance might tip the scales to the PC arena.
That would be interesting. With a PC, I could dig out my Cubase stuff. It was a pig on the Mac -- one of the reasons I moved to DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Yes the DP Win installs "slowly". I installed on a HP laptop and HP Tower.
But hey, what to worry about? it´s a big app and installs fine. Your computer is doing all the installation work. Relax. :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
kdm

Post by kdm »

No of course it isn't the end of the world, but in a busy production environment, taking 10 minutes to play around with DP and see what is fixed in a maintenance release turns into 30, that I rarely have time for.

It really isn't that big of an app compared to other DAWs, and most of that 15 minute install is taken up installing each plugin one at a time, 2-5 seconds each - even when none have been updated. MOTU needs to look at the modular install and design of other DAWs.
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

Yep, loads slow as hell on a PC....and takes forever to scan VST's, even though about 40% of mine didn't "pass". (wait until you try uninstalling, that is another adventure LOL!). Very strange considering they are legit plugs that work great in Pro Tools 10 and Cubase 7. Actually, it won't recognize Eastwest Play no matter what I tried. Personally, I found DP8 to be a big disappointment compared to the other two DAW's mentioned. It lacks simple features, such as keeping a VST's GUI floating on top of the screen, and the included VST intruments are more bland than the generic Kontakt libraries. The whole thing is unintuitive, and I found myself spending too much time trying to get it to work properly. The chunks feature and video engine are excellent, but not enough for me to commit to the program (on PC at least). :wink:

My new Mac will be in the studio soon, so I'll for sure try it again...I'm sure the Mac version is much smoother due to the fact it's been around for a zillion years. :unicorn:
kdm

Post by kdm »

I have to agree with you - I too was disappointed. The scoring features were enticing, but the tradeoffs in some surprisingly basic areas are far too significant for me to gain anything from DP over the other options. For one, much of the GUI and text are far too small for HD monitors. Limited video format support and poor performance with H264. No key commands to change controller views/filter selections in MIDI editing. Audio playback glitches when opening and closing plugin windows. I came across another a couple dozen other issues, but that's enough for now.

Yes, I have been through the uninstall - painful. 45 minutes to uninstall and reinstall DP.

I'll keep DP around to see where it goes on the hopes that some of this improves in future versions, but for now my other DAWs are simply faster and more efficient. But to each their own - for those that love DP, I'm sure it serves them well.
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Wolfie2112 wrote: It lacks simple features, such as keeping a VST's GUI floating on top of the screen, and the included VST intruments are more bland than the generic Kontakt libraries.
When you get the Mac, if you run DP in full screen mode, the plug windows stay on top. Also on the Mac it's easier to cycle through or select an apps windows. Many workflows have been built around Launchpad (and its predecessors) and Spaces on Macs. Yet, an option for floating the plug windows has been a requested feature and maybe it's just a matter of time until they get to it.

The provided instruments are pretty lame, but they've been concentrating their efforts in the plugs over the last couple of releases, which are great. I don't use any of the provided instruments in any DAW that I have (PT, Logic or S1), so that's never been a concern here. Not sure what's up with the VST validation, but I'm sure they're on it. All in all though, I'd say it's a great first effort into the PC world - just a few bumps in the road. Once they get those ironed out, they can move on to features.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

I do not have any long DP start ups. Got a trillion of legal plugins installed on both Mac and Windows. I do not recognize your statement and issues. Logic start ups on the other hand... Let's call them "coffee breaks!"..
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Radiogal wrote:I do not have any long DP start ups. Got a trillion of legal plugins installed on both Mac and Windows. I do not recognize your statement and issues. Logic start ups on the other hand... Let's call them "coffee breaks!"..
The OP and other are talking about the actual installation process and the initial VST validation. I don't think anyone is having any issues with startup after the program is installed and the plugs are validated. I know on both my Windows boxes it fires up as quickly as on the Mac.
kdm

Post by kdm »

Correct. It is only the install and uninstall processes that are incredibly slow.

DP opens and shuts down fine (after the 8.03 update fixed the freezing on exit).
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Yes the DP Win installs "slowly".
I timed it. The drivers for my HP printer installed slower - seriously.

I won't be using DP on Windows but I'll have some fun testing and trying to break it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

kdm wrote:For one, much of the GUI and text are far too small for HD monitors.
Yes, that was strange....I couldn't find any setting to enlarge the text, and the mixer was very tiny as well (even on my large HD monitors). This must be a windows bug because when I see screen shots from Mac, it looks very different. Hopefully this will be ironed out with a future revision.