DP Control working in Windows?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP Control working in Windows?

Post by NazRat »

Anyone have DP Control working with Windows? I can't get my iPod Touch to see a PC. Macs show up fine as DP Hosts. Bonjour is installed, motuDNSResponder is installed an running, OSC controller is configured in DP . . . turned off the PC firewall to test. Something else I missed?
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
NazRat

Re: DP Control working in Windows?

Post by NazRat »

OK - works fine in 32 bit DP, just can't get it to work in 64 bit. Maybe a driver issue . . .
etl17
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by etl17 »

I have the same issue. Works in 32bit but not the 64bit version of DP.
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
codamedia

Post by codamedia »

I notice the 32 bit version of DP8 has a file named "motuDNSResponder.exe" in the MOTU folder, but the 64 bit version of DP does NOT have this file.

EG:
32 bit: program files (x86) > MOTU (motuDNSResponder.exe is here) > Digital Performer (location of the program)
64 bit: program files > MOTU (motuDNSResponder.exe is NOT here) > Digital Performer (location of the program)

I understand that this is the file that communicates with Bonjour which is what DP Control uses to located the system/server.

Is this file not NEEDED - or is the missing file the reason DP Control cannot find the system/server in the 64 bit version?
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Now working in DP 8.05 64 bit on the PC.
Danielo

Post by Danielo »

I can also confirm that it is working on Win 7 64 bit as of version 8.05...and without installing Bonjour (which I dislike).

Great job MOTU...very useful to me!
Cheers

Daniel Ottini,
Composer/Electronic Musician
https://soundcloud.com/daniel-ottini
etl17

Post by etl17 »

Thanks MOTU!
DP 9, Win 7 64bit, 24GB RAM, RME HDSPe / Digiface, UAD 2, Powercore x8, HUI, 1 million plugins!
frankymax
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by frankymax »

Hmmm, I just got an iPhone 4S and tried to get it to work with DP8.05 and no go. Any ideas? I have turned off Bluetooth on my phone, my Windows Firewall is allowing DP8, my wifi is set the same on both phone and PC, I set up the control surface setup to Open Sound Control driver on the PC in DP8. What am I missing!? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
http://frankmacchia.net/
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Have you tried turning off the firewall to see if that's the problem? I have allowed DP connections both in and out along with the same for the MOTU_ZeroConf service. I also don't know for certain if Bonjour for Windows needs to be installed, but maybe give that a try also if it's not already installed - check Programs and Features. There have also been problems reported with DP Control and iOS7 - there's a thread around here somewhere.
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Thanks so much for the reply Naz. So, yes, I did try to turn off the Windows firewall even though DP8 was allowed in the list of allowable programs, and still it just won't see a connection. I am on iOS7.04 on my iPhone 4S but I did find that thread that you mentioned and it seemed like that even though iOS7 can cause crashes, at least users can get on and do some basic stuff before it crashes.
I'll look for that MOTU_ZeroConf service that you mention and see if that comes up. I'm afraid I don't even know what Bonjour is - can you elaborate on what that does and if you have it installed on your PC for working with DP Control? I will try to check it out tomorrow on my old Mac with DP7.24 and see if that works- if it does that means something is set wrong on the PC, I guess. One other thing is there was a port number box or something like that when you select the Open Sound Control. Do I need to type something in there?

I'm at least glad to hear it's working for some of you on Windows as that means there's a good chance I'll eventually get it up and running!
DP9/Windows7-64bit-32GBRAM Intel i7-3e930K CPU@3.2GHz/Lynx Aurora 8/VSL Ext.Lib//Komplete8/Spectrasonics/KorgLegDig/Valhalla/WavesMus2/iZotope/PSP/CytomicGlue/NomadPP/Plug&Mix/DynSpecM/KurzPC88/LexiNatBundle/RelabLX480/Kush/FabFilter/Finale/Sibelius/PacificaMicPre/Lawson/Neumann/Peluso/AKG/SeNeve/Lucas Mics/Genelec1032A
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Bonjour is Apple's peer DNS resolver. It's installed with iTunes. There used to be a standalone installer, but it was pulled by Apple for whatever reason. If you don't have iTunes installed try installing that - I don't know if it's truly required or the MOTU_Zeroconf service handles the DNS by itself, but something to try. I did not have to enter a port number when configuring the controller in DP - the default of zero is fine. OTT, maybe give MOTU support a call. It really does work on the PC both 64 and 32 bit since the DP 8.05 release. I'm using it on an iPad and iPod touch connecting to a PC and a Mac.
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

I have iTunes installed so I guess I have Bonjour on there so I guess I'll just try to call MOTU tech support and see if I can get some help. Thanks again, Naz!
frankymax

Post by frankymax »

Hey! I figured it out! I had DP open when I turned off the Windows Firewall so I just quit DP and then turned off the firewall and voila! It works! Duh, I feel like such a dummy for not getting this basic fact! However, I do find that DP Control just kind of stops working from time to time but all I have to do is quit the iPhone app and restart it and I'm back in business. It takes all of 5 seconds to do that. It's really a great lil app!!
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

Glad you got it working. Don't know why it stops working - that doesn't happen here. Maybe still a good idea to call MOTU for that and the firewall rules that need adjusting/entering. I'd guess that you're behind your router's firewall, but a little extra protection at the local machine might be a good idea. I use Norton, so don't know the correct entries for the stock Win or other third party apps.