DP disables h/w monitoring on record

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dave007
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP disables h/w monitoring on record

Post by dave007 »

hi,

i downloaded the DP8 1-month trial and i've been spending the day playing w/it. overall, there's been good and bad, and for the most part i've been able to work around the bugs. however, there's one issue that's got me stumped, i was hoping someone could shed some light on it.

i typically use h/w monitoring when i record, and i want to continue doing so. DP won't let me. whenever i arm/disarm input monitoring on a track, arm the track for recording, or start recording, DP turns off my audio interface input monitor for the channel associated w/the track and also sends volume=0. the same thing happens when i start dp ; monitoring on any channels associated w/audio tracks is disabled.

it makes no difference whether i configure the monitoring mode to 'direct hardware playthrough' or 'monitor record-enabled tracks through effects'.

to be clear, it's just the hardware monitoring that's disabled ; audio data is still reaching d.p. and being recorded correctly.

how can i disable this 'feature'?

thanks
david
--
system info
- windows 7 enterprise
- intel i7 / 16gb ram
- edirol ua-1000 audio interface
Agent of Random
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP disables h/w monitoring on record

Post by Agent of Random »

dave007 wrote:hi,
it makes no difference whether i configure the monitoring mode to 'direct hardware playthrough' or 'monitor record-enabled tracks through effects'.
That should be an impossible distinction, since direct hardware playthrough is for motu stuff only. Are you sure you weere able to choose both options?

What is your audio patchthru mode set to (from studio menu)?
dave007
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by dave007 »

thanks for your reply, random.

Agent of Random wrote:
dave007 wrote:hi,

That should be an impossible distinction, since direct hardware playthrough is for motu stuff only. Are you sure you weere able to choose both options?
well, this is the dialog i'm referring to :
is that also the one you mean?

i'm able to choose either option.

Agent of Random wrote:What is your audio patchthru mode set to (from studio menu)?
it was set to 'auto'. however, taking your question as a hint, i also tried setting it to 'input only' and 'off'. didn't help.

i've also tried using different track configurations.
  • if i use a stereo input on a stereo track, dp will zero both left and right of that channel [pan set hard left, volume 0, enable off]. in this case, it doesn't matter whether i disarm/re-arm monitoring or recording, once the channel is disabled, it's gone for good.
  • when i use a mono track and set the input to a channel that i've uncoupled using the interface's device control panel, whenever i arm either record or input monitoring in dp, dp enables that track's input channel, centers the pan and sets its gain to 6db, while simultaneously setting pan, volume, and channel enable to 0 for the active channel's complement [for example, if i tell dp to use input1, and input1 can be coupled with input2 to make a stereo pair, it'll turn on and boost input1 and zero input2].
Agent of Random

Post by Agent of Random »

well not sure what is going on then, but definitely does not sound like correct behavior. I'd report it to MOTU...reading this board it looks like there were a lotta bugs wth 3rd part ASIO stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think "Direct Hardware Playthrough" only works with MOTU brand audio interfaces, as someone posted earlier in this topic.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

James Steele wrote:I think "Direct Hardware
It Playthrough" only works with MOTU brand audio interfaces, as someone posted earlier in this topic.
It works also with 'built-in' / Mac

Best
Klaus