DP8 in W8

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
therayman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 in W8

Post by therayman »

My Windows 8, 4 core 64 bit HD editing machine has 12GB RAM and can handle HD video in real time but so far although it works DP8 performance is very sluggish and it crashes often. Using Reason in Rewire slows it to a crawl. My iMac with only 2 cores and 4GB RAM easily outperforms it. :deadhorse:
Mac plus with Roswell particle accelerator plug-in
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 in W8

Post by bralston »

DP8's new video engine taps into the GPU (not the CPU)...to display and drive video. Regardless of your CPU...if your GPU is not the latest and greatest....that would probably be the first place to start to look for the problem. How old is your video card and what GPU is it? ATI/AMD or nVidia? etc...

Since this is the first version from a line 1 rewrite of the entire program in 64-bit...I am sure that MOTU will have a lot of optimizing to do in future versions. So yes...this could be an issue. But most are NOT having the problems you describe. So it may be that DP8 is not liking some particular hardware component your windows system has. Which is why I am bringing up the video card.

In the end MOTU always gets it right. I would encourage you to not give up on it completely just yet and report your findings to MOTU.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Horobi
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Horobi »

Hmm....

I haven't tried rewire yet but maybe I'll see if it causes problems on my Win 8 64bit laptop.

At the moment it runs great for me(for the most part!). Maybe it is a graphics card/chip issue. I was running some sessions yesterday to full HD vid output to another screen and it was very smooth but the above laptop does have a half decent graphics chipset with 2gb of its own memory.

I'm sure we'll all get to the bottom of the foibles before too long.
kdm

Post by kdm »

DP8 plays terribly with the movie track enabled here, even if playback with the movie window open is fine. Just unselect/uncheck the movie track and see if that improves performance.

I seriously doubt it is a video card issue. I have a very new and powerful card in this system. Contact MOTU support. They were good in working to fix the hang on exit issue after I (and probably others) reported it. I have a tech note open on video playback issues already.
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

Did you guys open a support ticket while using the demo version? If so, how did you do this??
kdm

Post by kdm »

I already owned DP8 before the Win version came out and the same license will authorize the demo to the full version. I don't think you can open a support ticket for the demo version since it all goes through your account and specific product registration.