DP 8.03 Sluggish, Crashes Often on Windows 7 x64

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
TheNossinator
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP 8.03 Sluggish, Crashes Often on Windows 7 x64

Post by TheNossinator »

I was incredibly excited to get started with my DP 8.03 trial after MOTU fixed the issue with my audio hardware - but I've run into another problem.

On Windows 7 (x64), DP becomes incredibly sluggish after adding only a few instrument and MIDI tracks, to the point where I can't open the project without DP immediately crashing.

Also, playback is pretty terrible, with instruments dropping out everywhere. I've read elsewhere that graphics cards might be the problem - I'm running a single GTX 280 if it makes any difference.

From what I got to use of DP it seems excellent - if MOTU can get it to the stage of being functional for me (I understand that moving to PC is a huge task, and there will be bugs), I will almost certainly switch to it as my main DAW.

If anyone has any tips or workarounds that would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Intel Core i7 Extreme 975 @ 3.33GHz, 14 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, DP 8.05 (64-bit) running off an SSD, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, GTX280
Palestrina7

Re: DP 8.03 Sluggish, Crashes Often on Windows 7 x64

Post by Palestrina7 »

I wish I had an answer for you, but I am having similar problem. DP 8 crashed on me 6 times during a two-hr session tody. Six!!? I was only running TWO MIDI TRACKS at the time.

This is simply not working on my new mega master PC with 16GIGS of ram , superfast 8-core and NO OTHER PROGAMS INSTALLED. Frustrating. Used to be a great program. Now it is useless, at least so far..

Looooong time DP MAC user
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

DP 8.04 has been out a while. Have you tried that version?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Yeah, DP8.03 was kind of a mess, but they fixed it FAST, it was only out for like 2-3 weeks before they fixed it with 8.04. You must have slipped in the cracks during that period. I didn't even get a chance to download it before 8.04 came out!
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
airfield

Post by airfield »

I'm using DP 8.04, 24 days left of 30 day trial. I had watched several tutorials and read portions of the manuals prior to starting the 30 day trial. Was looking forward to exploring the many cool features, but the program continues to crash or I get error messages which I have searched but so far have not found what they mean. Instruments drop out, etc. Too many problems!!! The instruments included with the trial are of little interest to me, so I loaded a few Garritan Instruments via Aria Player and they don't sound as good as when used in Finale, plus they have dropped out after a short time. I've run other DAW programs without the problems, as well as other robust programs. Could be me, but seems that there are many bugs that have not been resolved. I'm disappointed, but pleased to have had the opportunity to try the program, happy not to have spent $500 on it! Too bad.

one of the errors:

Digital Performer has encountered an error.
Mas,0 error reported by Model121.2.5 (MAY 17 2013-17:23;47) ??? [-1]

Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

4 GB RAM
opeth13

Post by opeth13 »

I think the error you're getting can be resolved by running the application as administrator. So right click on the icon and left click Run as Admin.
Intel Sandybridge i5-2300 cpu 3.10 GHz (quad core w/o hyperthreading), 6gb ram, Win 7 64bit, DP 8.04 (32 bit), M-Audio Midiman, M-Audio Fast Track USB audio i/o.
airfield

Post by airfield »

opeth13 -- yes, I've done that, ran it as administrator. Didn't help. But thanks for the suggestion.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

airfield wrote:opeth13 -- yes, I've done that, ran it as administrator. Didn't help. But thanks for the suggestion.
Too bad about that. First incarnation of a complex app ported from Mac to Windows. The Mac ecosystem is sometimes more forgiving since there is less variation as far as the hardware goes. Windows is trickier. Hopefully they'll make the fixes necessary soon to have it working on your hardware.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mesayre

Post by mesayre »

Just chiming in because I have also received this error in DP 8.04 Trial:

Mas,0 error reported by Model121.2.5 (MAY 17 2013-17:23;47) ??? [-1]

Windows 7x64, 16BG Ram, i7
Focusrite Saffire 6 w/ latest drivers

Anybody have a solution to this?
TheNossinator

Post by TheNossinator »

I lost track of this thread after a long time of no replies.

Yes, I tried DP 8.04, same issues. My trial ran out 7 or so weeks ago so there's no way for me to keep fiddling around, which is disappointing because there's almost no way I will purchase software if the trial was a disaster.
Intel Core i7 Extreme 975 @ 3.33GHz, 14 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, DP 8.05 (64-bit) running off an SSD, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, GTX280
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

airfield wrote:..., so I loaded a few Garritan Instruments via Aria Player and they don't sound as good as when used in Finale,
I'm sorry you're having issues with DP :(

But that is an interesting statement right there..

Would you care to tell us how you arrived at that conclusion?
Can you think of a mechanism that would cause that?

Personally, I don't think those instruments sound particularly good on any program, but that can be just me.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
renochew

Post by renochew »

unfortunately, I am also one of those who are really curious about this DAW and did find it appealing, BUT instability is a huge issue, I have random crash/hang/lag which make me to give up any attempt to move to this DAW, hopefully, it would be sort out in the future version. By then, I think it can even rival Cubase.

Good luck.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

FMiguelez wrote:
airfield wrote:..., so I loaded a few Garritan Instruments via Aria Player and they don't sound as good as when used in Finale,
I'm sorry you're having issues with DP :(

But that is an interesting statement right there..

Would you care to tell us how you arrived at that conclusion?
Can you think of a mechanism that would cause that?

Personally, I don't think those instruments sound particularly good on any program, but that can be just me.
I agree with you on the quality of most of the Garritan sounds. There are a couple, however that are quite useable and I use them because the price was right. Finale has a lot of "play from score" enhancements not present in DP. One example is a fairly flexible human playback engine. I'm guessing this is what the OP is hearing. I usually score in Finale and create a MIDI file with whatever playback settings I need enabled, then import the MIDI data to DP, where I set up Aria Player. Mixing and final MIDI tweaking is best done in DP IMHO. YMMV

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.