My only wish for the MIDI Editor

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
knoob
Primary DAW OS: Windows

My only wish for the MIDI Editor

Post by knoob »

is that I would prefer bars instead of those little "v" for the velocity parameter. C'mon Motu, I'm sure I'm not the only one not liking those floating "v"...
OLB
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My only wish for the MIDI Editor

Post by OLB »

- Len
DAW Mac Pro 6-core 2013 | 64Gb RAM | 10.11.6 | Metric Halo ULN-8
DP 9.5 | VE Pro 6 | Kontakt 5
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

knoob wrote:is that I would prefer bars instead of those little "v" for the velocity parameter. C'mon Motu, I'm sure I'm not the only one not liking those floating "v"...
This is easy to change - you need to copy the png file from the main app resources folder to somewhere like your desktop - the file is called something like kCDicon or something - and you can change the shape to a blob so its more easily seen. I have done it myself (Andy's Themes also do something like this) - when I get home I will post some pictures so you can see it and I will name and locate the file for you. It is effective. However you may have already done by the time I get home........
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
knoob

Post by knoob »

Thank you... but i don't found any png for velocity :?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

He's on Windows? Maybe the mod has to be applied differently?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

This is the DP standard cdDataCicn png file in the Contents/Resources
if you copy this png file and put it in the Content/Resources folder of the Theme bundle you are customising, then when you customise it will become the default for that theme, see my customised png file (slightly changed one of Andy's) and the difference
which produces this result on the MIDI edit window

That is how you do it - I used Graphic Converter to make the marker completely black - there are other graphics programs you can use. It makes it clearer - you can see in the png file where the markers are and the change from a v to a blob. I don't know about Windows - I thought the Theme bundles worked the same in Windows but I haven't checked it out yet.
Last edited by Guitar Gaz on Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

For some reason the graphics that weren't screen shots came out looking really strange on my browser.

Oh wait... never mind. It's a whole bunch of different icons in the same graphic and the second one from the left on the top row is what you changed. Got it! :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Does this in any way affect the size for selection?

I'd really like to make the little tempo "T's" bigger and easier to click on in the conductor.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

James Steele wrote:For some reason the graphics that weren't screen shots came out looking really strange on my browser.

Oh wait... never mind. It's a whole bunch of different icons in the same graphic and the second one from the left on the top row is what you changed. Got it! :)
That's it - I don't yet know what all the others do - perhaps Andy does.But that second one top row does the velocity. I may experiment to see what the others do - but its the velocity markers that were the problem. I think this works pretty well for now.

If I knew how to make this file available I would be happy to post it for those not keen on playing with graphics - you have to put it physically in all Theme bundles (I don't recommend overwriting the standard DP version in the app package). Any clues? I post jpg's on Facebook and then can post images here on this board - how would I post this small file?
Gary Shepherd
knoob

Post by knoob »

I got it! Thanks guys!

It's much better now, but velocity editing still not great compared to other daws, something Motu should look for in future updates IMO.. i would prefer bars and it would be much more easy to change the values by using the Pen.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

knoob wrote:I got it! Thanks guys!

It's much better now, but velocity editing still not great compared to other daws, something Motu should look for in future updates IMO.. i would prefer bars and it would be much more easy to change the values by using the Pen.
Have you found any velocity-editing short comings?
Have you experimented with the reshape tool and all its flavors?
How about velocity scaling (with shortcuts)?
Have you tried doing searches to select certain velocity levels only?

DP's editing tools are second to none...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
TheNossinator

Post by TheNossinator »

FMiguelez wrote: Have you found any velocity-editing short comings?

Sorry to jump in, but where might I find out how to do these marvellous tricks with DP? After playing around with the demo all day I still find working with automation/velocity in DP a pain - but I know there's a better way to do it, just not sure how.
Intel Core i7 Extreme 975 @ 3.33GHz, 14 GB RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, DP 8.05 (64-bit) running off an SSD, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, GTX280
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Well, the click area is unbelievably small, which can't be fixed by any patch, I'll admit that. HOWEVER, I've also been privy to software with way too large of click areas (Adobe Premiere CS6), where it becomes difficult to do detailed tasks because the software always thinks you want to do an action next to what you really want! But I do believe there's a sweet spot. If MOTU would consider widening the click region just by maybe one pixel on either side, I think it would be far better.

It is kinda silly having the tiny up/down triangles. All for the sake of doing off-velocity, something that 99% of users will never use. I like the Dots in the Mod much better.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
knoob

Post by knoob »

FMiguelez wrote:
knoob wrote:I got it! Thanks guys!

Have you found any velocity-editing short comings?

Thanks for point that out. I'm discouvering those tools now and they look great for editing velocity (second to none you're right) , but I prefer to use the pencil (maybe I'm just more used to other daws) and the small clicking area is a problem for me, also not having bars does no help me to visualize velocity information.