DP not closing on exit !

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tinalfie
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP not closing on exit !

Post by tinalfie »

Hi

Installed DP on win 7 64 bit and everything seems to work fine, but everytime when i close DP it freezes and i should kill the process in task manager and wait another 10 minute to quit !

thoughts please ?? anyone have the solution for this ?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP not closing on exit !

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

On a Mac I'd suggest deleting the plist (preference) file. Not sure what the Windows equivalent is, but whatever it is, kill it (with the program closed) and try again. It sounds like it is having a problem writing to the preference file.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
kdm

Post by kdm »

The same thing is happening here as well. I've been discussing it with MOTU tech support - so far disabling the audio engine (hold shift on startup), and disabling plugins (hold alt on startup) has not helped.

In my case, I can't kill it in task manager or with Process Explorer - it requires a full system reboot. I'm not waiting 10 minutes for it to die off though - that's too long in a production environment.

Hopefully there will be a solution soon. I can't afford to open DP just to get a feel for it for this reason.

This has been happening since first install, so I'm not sure preferences would be the solution, and I've already uninstalled and reinstalled DP anyway - no change (unless prefs are not cleared when uninstalled). Still freezes on exit.
tinalfie

Post by tinalfie »

thanks for reply ! i'm on windows, but uninstalled the program once and completely deleted all the related files and the problem is still here ! this happened few time during the first vst search as well !
on some vst's program crashed during the search and i had to kill the process and wait 10 minutes to run it again and continue loading the plugins !
now everything seems to work fine except for this !
kdm

Post by kdm »

Tech support had suggested disabling/or unplugging any audio interface (obviously that only works with USB of Firewire, not PCIe as much), launching DP and see if it hangs on exit with no audio device attached.

I doubt this would be any different from simply changing to an internal audio driver, or none if DP will let us set it for none.
tinalfie

Post by tinalfie »

I have a mbox3 but one pci delta1010, i use both as interface with asio driver and no different also i used winaudio as well, i can't remove my delta1010 and don't think this helps also !
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

Could be an ASIO problem (that MOTU is aware of and will fix in the next upgrade). MOTU suggests to use the free ASIO4ALL app for ASIO related problems. This has fixed my issues with DP8 Windows.

http://www.asio4all.com/
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
kdm

Post by kdm »

Radiogal wrote:Could be an ASIO problem (that MOTU is aware of and will fix in the next upgrade). MOTU suggests to use the free ASIO4ALL app for ASIO related problems. This has fixed my issues with DP8 Windows.

http://www.asio4all.com/
A good observation - it could well be the problem. ASIO4ALL is an interesting idea to try. DP is hanging on exit with RME drivers here, which are pretty much the best ASIO drivers in the industry, so I'm wouldn't really expect ASIO4ALL to prevent this for me at least. If ASIO4ALL works though, that would seem to indicate some less than effective ASIO handling in DP - perhaps the issue they are working on already. If it is the same issue, it is good to know a fix is in the works.
RangerJ ay

Post by RangerJ ay »

I have the same problem (not exiting cleanly) on two machines. One uses a Focusrite ASIO driver, and the other uses an Avid ASIO driver. Both display a "not responding" error, and the process cannot be killed with Task Manager. Only a reboot will clean things up.

Both of these boxes are used regularly with Pro Tools, Nuendo, Samplitude, and Adobe Audition. None of these other applications give me so much as a hiccup even after days of use.

I have been a Performer/DP user for a very long time (1993), on the Mac of course, but I have slowly but surely been gravitating to Windows boxes these last 5 years simply because the bang for the buck is so huge. I can build a box that is as powerful as the best Mac Pro for a third of the cost by going with Windows. Windows 7 is pretty darned rock solid for audio work, and once you get used to the ins and outs of Windows maintenance, it's fairly easy to work with. I used to be a Mac snob, actually, but now I am mostly platform neutral.

I look forward to the day that I trust DP on a Windows machine for real work. Unfortunately, today is not that day. I am a patient person, though, so I will not complain too much about a 1.0 release. I will continue to play with it in my spare time while waiting for the inevitable updates.
ASRock X58 Extreme3 mobo, Intel Core i7, 12 GB RAM, Win 7 64, WD Black drives (multiple), Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 (FireWire), Dual Acer monitors with NVidia GeForce 9400 (DVI), M-Audio Axiom 49 keyboard, DP 8.03.
kdm

Post by kdm »

It is actually good that this is happening to several people with different systems. It will be more likely that it is a general problem MOTU can find and fix more easily.

Similar setup here RangerJay - Nuendo, ProTools, Sequoia and Audition all running well on this system. I went Windows for the same reasons. I don't really care as much about the OS as some might when I am working, so no need to invest in the Mac route for me. Perfectly good option for those that prefer the Mac for whatever reason though.

Hopefully DP8/Win will be more stable after a couple of updates.
tinalfie

Post by tinalfie »

I tried asio4all and it doesn't help ! I also uninstalled once again before that and still i should wait forever for this to quit ! this happened during the first vst search also, on some plugs DP crashed and i had to force close and wait 10 minutes to run it again !
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

tinalfie wrote:I tried asio4all and it doesn't help ! I also uninstalled once again before that and still i should wait forever for this to quit ! this happened during the first vst search also, on some plugs DP crashed and i had to force close and wait 10 minutes to run it again !
You need to chose ASIO4ALL as your soundcard under Hardware Settings to make it work.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
tinalfie

Post by tinalfie »

I know ! i did it and it runs ok but still freezes on exit !
kdm

Post by kdm »

Tech support tells me a maintenance release is on the way.
tinalfie

Post by tinalfie »

good news ! hope they fix this ! I love this DAW