Plugins - RTAS etc

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rkohlbeck
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Plugins - RTAS etc

Post by rkohlbeck »

Hello. I have LA scoring strings as well as Hollywood brass and strings and cannot get DP to locate them.. someone posted going to preferences and checking boxes.. that does not come up for me..

can someone help me with the RTAS is this an compatibility issue with DP8?

appreciate a step by step to activate these here and show where they are.

I am running my dp8 program on my ssd main drive and then all my samples are on a seperate ssd drive.

thanks much
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Plugins - RTAS etc

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I believe RTAS is for Pro Tools, not for DP. You want VST or AU plug ins for DP (or MAS if appropriate).
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

You're correct MLC, RTAS is a proprietary Pro Tools only plug in format, that just got benched for AAX.

He will want VST, as AU is mac only, and I kinda doubt the few developers that still support MAS for DP will port that support to Windows.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Windows. AU. Why didn't I think of that? And MAS is also going south. Again, I should have known. Thanks, MC.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rkohlbeck

Post by rkohlbeck »

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for the direction. That is what I sort of thought. So all those plugins I have I have to reinstall the directories and add VST.

My reason for my question is I saw this post online, and prompted me to post

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... AS-Plugins

also I noticed when I launch a session is there anyway to make the fonts bigger, things are so small and very hard to read.. when I go to the ' text " tab at the top everything is greyed out so I dont know how to make things bigger,

thanks much
Michael Canavan

Are you using Pro Tools on a native system?
Use DAE as the Audio System (you must have a Digidesign TDM [Mix or HD] system to use DP's DAE mode)
If you do not have a TDM or system and are running Pro Tools with an iLock then you will not be able to use RTAS. <-- kinda strange, because wasn't RTAS their native plug in format?

Also, RTAS is a legacy plug in format now, Pro Tools now uses AAX etc. they switched on you.
I highly doubt that DP8 Windows in TDM mode will run a legacy plug in format? Possible, but doubtful.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

rkohlbeck wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for the direction. That is what I sort of thought. So all those plugins I have I have to reinstall the directories and add VST.

My reason for my question is I saw this post online, and prompted me to post

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... AS-Plugins

also I noticed when I launch a session is there anyway to make the fonts bigger, things are so small and very hard to read.. when I go to the ' text " tab at the top everything is greyed out so I dont know how to make things bigger,

thanks much
Glad I'm not the only one LOL! If there's no way to adjust the fonts/sizing, there's no way I can continue, even with my large monitors. To me it looks much smaller than the Mac templates I see on Youtube, etc.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm curious as to whether MAS is cross-platform in of itself, or whether it needs to be re-compiled. As far as I know, RTAS was cross platform, don't know about AAX. Maybe MAS is as well. Always bothered me that VST had to be recompiled (and often isn't for Mac). Maybe VST3 is cross?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan

Prime Mover wrote:I'm curious as to whether MAS is cross-platform in of itself, or whether it needs to be re-compiled. As far as I know, RTAS was cross platform, don't know about AAX. Maybe MAS is as well. Always bothered me that VST had to be recompiled (and often isn't for Mac). Maybe VST3 is cross?
I'm not a coder, but from what I do understand MAS is more than one thing, it's the underlying name given to MOTU's Audio System, and it's a type of plug in for that system. I think very logically MAS as a pure audio system is cross platform from the start, the plug ins however aren't gonna be. Just MOTU's own embedded plug ins are gonna be "MAS" plug ins.
From, what I know the underlying actual code in VST doesn't have to be recompiled, it's the GUI that's completely different OSX and Windows wise. I think you might be right though, VST3 might offer an alternative to having to code a separate GUI for each platform.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

So how does RTAS, TDM, and AAX make it work? It's tough for me to give Avid credit for anything these days, but that's pretty awesome.

BTW, I have NO idea whether VST3 is cross or not, I know nothing about the standard, and from the low adoption rate, it seems neither do a lot of people.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy