DP8 Not Finding PLAY or Kontakt 5

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Wolfie2112
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 Not Finding PLAY or Kontakt 5

Post by Wolfie2112 »

Trying out the Windows version of DP8, but it doesn't see Play (EastWest) or Kontakt 5 for some reason. They are 64bit plugs, and I am running the 64bit version of DP. No problems seeing them in X2, PT or Cubase 7, and the folder locations are identical. Anyone else having this issue?

Also, the text in the track view is very, very tiny....and hard to read even on my dual 24" monitors. Is there a way to enlarge this? And the mixer looks very small, as well. I wish there was a way to size it to an entire monitor.

Thanks!
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 Not Finding PLAY or Kontakt 5

Post by bralston »

If all are 64-bit, then go into DP preferences, Audio-units tab and made sure your Play and Kontakt plugins are enabled (checked) and then restart DP.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

Thanks for the reply.

Under my preferences, there is no Audio "units" tab, only a plug-in list. Even though I put the location of the plugin folders, they don't get found.
bralston

Post by bralston »

Sorry...my bad in describing the preferences tab (a hold over from the MAC version)...it is the "Plug-ins" tab in the preferences, as you discovered.

All plugins installed on your system would be listed there. If it is not there DP does not know about them. If you are for sure running DP in 64-bit mode AND the versions of the plug-ins you have are all updated to be 64-bit versions...then they should be listed there. For windows, you are going to want the VST plug-ins installed.

If they are not there...try re-installing the plugins on your system. When DP launches for the first time...it scans the plugins and add them to the list of possible plugins. Did it do this when you first launched DP? It should have. Takes a few extra minutes on first launch. If it did not do this...this is why DP does not have them listed.

One trick on the MAC is one can force a re-scan of all plugins if they go into their OSX system library files for DP and trash the "audio unit cache info.plist" file. I am not sure what this would be called on a windows machine or exactly where in the windows system files it keeps this. I only know where it is on a MAC. But...there is something similar in Windows I am sure. This plugins preference list just gets rebuilt the next time DP starts and it forces a rescan of all plugins on the computer.

Perhaps a call to MOTU would help solve this fairly quickly. In the mornings Boston, Massachusetts time seem to be best for them.
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

Do you have the right paths set for your VST plugs in preferences? For VST2, plugs get installed anywhere you want (or the developer wants) so you have to tell the DAW what location(s). You also have different plug paths for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of a DAW.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Try to start D.P. 32 bit first so that it scans everything correctly and then start the 64-bit ...
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

NazRat wrote:Do you have the right paths set for your VST plugs in preferences? For VST2, plugs get installed anywhere you want (or the developer wants) so you have to tell the DAW what location(s). You also have different plug paths for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of a DAW.
Been there, done that. Like I said, it found all of other VST's no problem. Very strange indeed. I'll give MOTU a shout.

Thanks
bigbeatpro

Post by bigbeatpro »

Wolfie2112 wrote:
NazRat wrote:Do you have the right paths set for your VST plugs in preferences? For VST2, plugs get installed anywhere you want (or the developer wants) so you have to tell the DAW what location(s). You also have different plug paths for both the 32 and 64 bit versions of a DAW.
Been there, done that. Like I said, it found all of other VST's no problem. Very strange indeed. I'll give MOTU a shout.

Thanks
I had a similar issue which I spoke with Native Instruments about today. My issue was resolved when, what I consider odd placement of the 64 bit dll's was found, I was told there is no standard path for current dll's on most new VSTi's. My path was C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Komplete 6\VSTPlugins 64 bit. There is another misleading path at C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit not created by me that is empty.

hope this helps someone.
The Tone Ranger

Post by The Tone Ranger »

====
Wolfie2112 wrote:
Trying out the Windows version of DP8, but it doesn't see Play (EastWest) or Kontakt 5 for some reason. They are 64bit plugs, and I am running the 64bit version of DP. No problems seeing them in X2, PT or Cubase 7, and the folder locations are identical. Anyone else having this issue?
====

I had the same problem trying to point DP(8.04) to my Kontakt 5 plugins. On my system (Win 7, x64), my plugins folder (which contains the .dll files) is this:
[C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit]

But DP8 couldn't find anything in that folder, and the problem was eventually solved when I pointed DP8 to the parent directory of that folder:
[C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\]

It seems that DP (win) is looking for a folder which only contains folder names, not plugins, but maybe there's another explanation. Hope this helps other users.