Windows DP can't open old DP projects..

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
benjamz
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Windows DP can't open old DP projects..

Post by benjamz »

I was hoping to be able to open some old (DP5) files with the new windows version.
No can do.
Even an .omf file created with DP5 is no good when opened with DP8 windows. (only 1 out of 4 sequences, audio all over the shop.. no MIDI)
Is the partly because my mac DP is old, or is there no compatibility period?
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Windows DP can't open old DP projects..

Post by NazRat »

Haven't tried it yet, but thinking about what the problems might be - it probably all comes down to file extensions. I don't believe DP5 was using file extensions at all, but I could be wrong on that (it's been a while). Now all the newer versions do, i.e. .dpdoc for the session, .wav, etc. If you still have a Mac, download the Mac demo and use that to convert to the newest formats. Old SD2 audio files from the Mac would prove to be more problematic because they store the headers in resource forks which the PC can't see. If/when you convert, you should probably convert any SD2 to WAV while you're at it. If you were using AIF (or WAV if it was available in DP5) files for your old session audio another thing you could try is to add the .aif (or .wav) extension to your audio files and the .dpdoc extension to the session file and see if that works, but don't have much faith.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Radiogal
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Radiogal »

Try to open it using LOAD.
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
bralston
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bralston »

Did any of those old DP sessions have Apple Audio Unit plugins in them by any chance?
Regards,

Brian Ralston

- MacPro 7,1 3.2 GHz 16-core Intel Xeon W, 384GB 2933MHz DDR4 RAM, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD OS drive, 6TB Samsung Pro EVOPlus SSDs via Sonnet 4x4 M.2 PCIe card, Graphics card: AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32GB, UAD-2 Quad, DP 10.13, DP 11.0,
- 15" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost to 4.8GHz, 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 mem, Radeon Pro Vega 20 w/4GB HBM2 mem, 2TB SSD storage, OS 10.15.7, 2TB SSD, DP 10.13
Palestrina7
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Palestrina7 »

I struggled with the same problem with some old Mac files from DP 4.6 on an old machine. Failed miserably until i just changed their file extensions by adding .dpdoc and they were even instantly recognized as DP files on the desktop by my new PC when I moved them. It didnt seem to make much difference whether I renamed them before or after moving them to a thumb-drive. DP8 opened them perfectly down to the tiniest detail.

HOWEVER - I HAD BETTER LUCK OPENING THEM FROM INSIDE DP than by doubleclicking them on the desktop, until I saved them once. DP hung up a couple of times whenI tried double-clicking