Audio dropouts / VST plugins problems

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rotong
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Audio dropouts / VST plugins problems

Post by rotong »

At last. Yesterday I downloaded the demo for Windows. Nice program and very nice esthetic layout but my joy was over after scanning my VST plug collection. It lasted for hours to complete with many audio dropouts and CPU spikes and sometimes even a system reset. Moreover at least 25 plugs weren't recognized not even after examine the plugs again. Detecting the VST plugs at program startup is now also causing terrible dropouts and CPU spikes. It's such a disappointment. In my opinion there are some heavy problems with the MAS VST interface. Hope there wil be solutions for this in the near future. I'm working with Studio One without any problems at all but....without MIDI sysex, score options, an ergonomic workspace and a gorgeous interface. However, at this time I'll stick to this!!
:sorry:
Athlon II X4 640 16GB, Windows7, RME Fireface 400, Presonus Studio One
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Audio dropouts / VST plugins problems

Post by NazRat »

Growing pains - the 1st version is always tough when released to the wilds. I think MOTU will be quick to respond to difficulties like these. Just for reference, what plugs are you having difficulty with?
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
rotong

Post by rotong »

Some Ni plugs like Kore, B4II, Korg M1, Emulator X3, All Izotope plugs, Image-Line plugs like Harmor, Ogun, Sytrus, some Waves plugs and many more. I agree, this is a first Windows launch in the big big Microsoft world. Now the testing begins for real! I'm sure they will improve their VST interface.
Radiogal

Post by Radiogal »

MOTU will fix the problems. No worries. :)
MAC PRO 6 Core 3.33 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.5, DP 9 MAC and WIN (64bit/Jbridge) AMPGUI Mellow, Logic 10, Wavelab 8 MOTU 24I/O (x2), MOTU 2408 MK3 (2x), WAVES Mercury 9, SSL, UAD2Quad, McDSP, Sound Toys, Sonnox, Sonalksis, NomadFactory, T-Racks, P&M, LexPCM, AbbeyRoad, DSM, VCC, VTM, FGX, Melda, EWQL SymphOrch/Piano Gold. Mixingdesk: AMEK Big 44, TK BC-1MK2, SSLcomp clones, GAPPre73, PCM91, TC, FMR. Monitors: Genelec 1031, ADAM A7, >40 mics http://www.ragdollproduction.com
NazRat
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by NazRat »

rotong wrote:Some Ni plugs like Kore, B4II, Korg M1, Emulator X3, All Izotope plugs, Image-Line plugs like Harmor, Ogun, Sytrus, some Waves plugs and many more. I agree, this is a first Windows launch in the big big Microsoft world. Now the testing begins for real! I'm sure they will improve their VST interface.
All Waves V9 plugs are good here (about 30 assorted), M1 good here (as are all the Legacy collection), Izotope Trash 2 good, all NI Komplete 8 plugs good (I haven't installed discontinued NI stuff, though I do have it). Not familiar with the rest of your list. I'm running 64 bit. The only plugs I'm having difficulty with are BFD and BFD Eco - both 32 and 64 bit hang on validation.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
Loveeza
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Loveeza »

You might be able to turn them all off on the windows side of things. I don't think you can customize the default windows key shortcuts. But you can just turn them off globally.
kaleem
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

Yes, there are decidedly some teething pains, which is to be expected, i think. Report the issues to both the plugin devs, and motu (via techlink). If they don't know, they can't fix.

VST Issues I've had confirmed thus far (all behave correctly in at least 2 other hosts):
1. GUI lags. Basically, the graphic display of the plug doesn't keep up with the audio signal going through it:
DMG plugins (COMPassion, EQuilibrium, EQuality, etc)
Toontrack Superior2 and RP Punch (gui hits don't follow incoming MIDI correctly...mostly just the occasional hit will show up).
What's interesting is that other graphically-intensive plugins, like Xfer's Syrum seem to work fine.

2. Rob Papen plugins:
a) After save/close, when the project is reopened, the plugin remembers the correct bank location, but reverts to the 1st patch in that bank.
b) Regular and Multi-out versions are scanned and appear okay, but only the stereo version shows up in the plugin selector list. If you rename the multi-out dll file, then, only the multi-out version appears.

3. u-he Zebra2:
"Shredded" audio. Distorted audio with a single instance. If more than a couple instances are added, audio playback sounds like it's getting tremolo'd (to include existing audio track playback). Diva, Satin, and the Hive and Presswerk demos all work correctly, though.

4. BFD3:
Scanned without issue for me, and generally behaves well. However, if you use the groove editor in song mode, or use MIDI notes to trigger grooves, and try to offline bounce using DP, it crashes.

Anyway, hang in there. We'll see what v9 holds in store (i'm looking forward to some of the new features, and hoping for a few fixes too)!
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.