DP terminology

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kev
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP terminology

Post by Kev »

Another Sonar Platinum refugee here, considering moving over to DP. I've been reading the DP User Guide and I'm a bit confused by some of the terminology. Does a glossary of terms exist anywhere? I'm particularly baffled by the use of the word "bundle".
Occasional user of DP(v9.52), Mainly using Cakewalk and Mixbus32C(4.3).
i7-13700|Gig-UD790-RD|UAD2octo+solo|Multiple-drives|MatroxC420|W11
Audient-iD44II+ASP800|Aphex141B|KRK-VXT6|+VariousOutboardGear|+guitars&basses|+MIDI-keyboards
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP terminology

Post by James Steele »

Have you downloaded the 30-day free demo?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kev

Post by Kev »

James Steele wrote:Have you downloaded the 30-day free demo?
Not yet. I was intending to wait until the start of the holidays. I'll be too busy during the next week or so.
Audient-iD44II+ASP800|Aphex141B|KRK-VXT6|+VariousOutboardGear|+guitars&basses|+MIDI-keyboards
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

MOTU's use of "bundle" probably has some elegant logic to it, but I can see why it doesn't land with a new user. Seems like more of a matrix to me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey Kev....
“Bundles” is just how DP organizes inputs, outputs, and bussing. Other DAWs call it other things and some organize them separately. Once you get used to it, it’s a handy way to manage your virtual patchbay.

BTW: There’s a pretty good series on DP8 & 9 on Groove 3 that includes a video on Bundles.

Good luck.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Kev

Post by Kev »

Thanks to all of you for responding. It seems to make sense if I think "routing matrix" when I read "bundle". Videos seem to confirm this. I don't get why they chose the word "bundle" though.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Kev wrote: I don't get why they chose the word "bundle" though.
.... Wait 'til you get to chunks.... :mrgreen:

They're awesome, BTW.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

It's good to know this notion of Bundle with D.P. but not essential to begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpDFSEfjWw&t=41s
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Kev

Post by Kev »

Thanks for the video.
Kev

Post by Kev »

FMiguelez wrote:
Kev wrote: I don't get why they chose the word "bundle" though.
.... Wait 'til you get to chunks.... :mrgreen:
I just looked up "chunks" in the Guide and I think I get the gist of it.

It's going to take a while to learn my way around this software. Maybe I should download a trial earlier rather than wait until the holidays.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes, you should download it and try stuff as you go.

Reading the manual is always a good idea, but if you prefer, MOTU has a YouTube channel with good tutorials. I also recommend the ones from Groove3. They have a general course and an advanced one. Go over them, and you will be on your way to really understand DP quickly.

Before DP I was using Cakewalk, and it was a very smooth transition for me. I trust the same will happen to you.

:unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Kev wrote:Thanks to all of you for responding. It seems to make sense if I think "routing matrix" when I read "bundle". Videos seem to confirm this. I don't get why they chose the word "bundle" though.
Because it’s a lot of physical/virtual I/O assignments all wrapped up in one thing. A bundle.

A few DP terms are different from the usual definitions. Region is one of the confusing terms. Even Sequence includes things that aren’t sequences. Soundbytes and clips add to the confusion. But once you’ve used them, it all makes sense.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8