Question from longtime pro Sonar user considering DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mcgoo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Question from longtime pro Sonar user considering DP

Post by mcgoo »

Hi-

With Sonar's recent demise, I will be looking to change to another DAW in the next month or so. I would rather transition while work is slow than when Sonar happens to break because of an OS update or similar.

At the moment, DP & Cubase look to be my best options. I do custom music & audio for radio, TV, web videos, etc. DP seems to have a lot of users that do the same.

Most of my work comes from 1 video editor that uses Final Cut 10 on a Mac. He sends me OMF files (which are a bit of a hassle for him because he has to jump thru some hoops to make them for me). I see that DP supports OMF, AAF & even fcxml (but only to version 7?). I've also seen some comments here that OMF & AAF are (or were?) problematic in DP. Can any Windows users that get projects from Video editors (using a Mac) comment on what works or doesn't work in getting files via one of the aforementioned standards?

thanks,

greg
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Question from longtime pro Sonar user considering DP

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I'm on Mac. Fwiw, I've found AAF to be a more dependable option than OMF.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mcgoo

Post by mcgoo »

I spent most of the day playing with DP's demo. I gotta say, after having been with one DAW for about 26 years, getting my head wrapped around another one is not easy! I'm about 95% certain I'm going to end up being a DP user. The great crossgrade offer wasn't part of that decision, but I'll jump on it before it expires. The single feature that has me blown away is chunks. I can't begin to count time wasted trying to make downbeats happen where I needed them on long form videos. I'm surprised no one else seems to have such a feature.

I am a bit concerned about how I'll be getting files from final cut. I tested an omf that loaded in Sonar fine. It wouldn't load in DP. Would love to hear from anyone that has a tried and true process.

Greg
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Again, I've found AAF files to be far more reliable, but my experience is with porting to Pro Tools for the final post stuff. I generally don't have deal with film editors too much. Thank the maker! LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mcgoo

Post by mcgoo »

I hear you about AAF files. Problem is, Final Cut doesn't appear to export AAF or OMF. Up until now, he's been exporting Final Cut xmls into Premiere, and using Premiere to create the OMF. I'll see if he can create AAF files from Premiere.

greg