Stereo option blanked out in 9.1 RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
atemporarywind
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Stereo option blanked out in 9.1 RESOLVED

Post by atemporarywind »

hey all,

I'm hoping someone has come across this problem before.

I can't get the master fader to be in stereo so I can't pan anything... Well, I can pan it as the pan knob is on all the channels, but there is no effect.

I tried opening some older sessions that had panning involved and I can't pan those as well.

I'm hoping its a knuckle brain setting I've over looked but as of this writing I've gotten as far as I can... Everything is routed to a stereo master bus and even two weeks ago I was able to pan on a different mix.

I'm running 9.1 on windows 10. I did try downloading dp 9.5 as well and opening that but that was a hot mess so I went back to 9.1...

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Stereo option blanked out in 9.1

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Check your audio bundle to make sure it is stereo. Also, make sure you have a stereo and not mono audio track.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Thank you for the quick response and suggestions. It all looks right however.

The track is stereo, I'll post a few pics in a bit but all appears routed well, it's not my first rodeo, it's just the first one where the bull wouldn't pan :/
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

But yes, as MLC said, check the BUNDLES window.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Sorry, my last reply was unclear.

I've checked the Bundles window (assuming I'm checking the right one by hitting Shift + U) and in the outputs it shows a stereo out of 1 and 2.

If there's another way to check the bundles any insights would be appreciated.

I had this occur early one when I first got the upgrade (I went from DP 3.1 to 9.1) and it seemed like opening a new session did the trick. I saved that session as a template and have used that template for all my further sessions without issue until this past weekend.. and of course I didn't notice it until last night..

Thank you all for your time and thoughts.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Is the master fader folded down to mono?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Hey Bays,

The Master Fader shows both Left and Right, there's a drop down button that allows you to choose "None" "Mono" and "Stereo" but the "stereo" option is blanked out..

Yet the Bundles show it's in Stereo. So maybe there's yet another window I'm missing. I've also been told to try eliminating the Master Fader altogether and seeing if things display in Stereo at that point so, there's one more thing to try.

----------------------------------------------

Also, just realized I'm most likely posting on the wrong thread... thanks for your tolerance.

It is sad as I comb through the other posts to see how little love the PC version of DP seems to be getting. Wish I had done a bit more research before making the purchase. I do love DP over all the rest, but the trouble it's given me on PC has caused me to lose my head more than a few times.

Anyhow, one other point I realize I haven't brought up is that I'm using an Antelope Orion as the D/A and Digital Performer wasn't even capable of recognizing it until I ran ASIO for all as a quick fix. So just a lot of virtual Duct Tape here. But there's more details if that means anything.

Thanks again for reading.
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

some pics

Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

You are clicking on the "Folddown" button. The output is just above the name (Master-1) and it is assigned to your stereo output. Folddown is for checking a stereo mix in mono, or checking a surround mix in either stereo or mono. Since your Master Fader is already stereo the option isn't there in the Folddown. Stereo would only be available as an option there if your Master Fader were assigned to a surround bundle.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

PS, set the Folddown to "none" and you should be able to pan.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Thanks for the info Kurt.

I'm learning today.

However, it was set to "none" and still appears to be no luck with panning... So, still in the same panless boat

on the plus side I think I made a good mono mix though.. can't wait to hear it in stereo :)

strange little bird this DP for Windows is.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

If you solo a single track and try panning it do the meters in the Master Fader show it panning or staying mono?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

atemporarywind wrote:on the plus side I think I made a good mono mix
That was good enough for George Martin. :sorry:
I didn't notice you're on windows. I have had this happen though, and recall having the "DOH!" reaction when I figured out what it was, but I can't remember what it was.
Hope you files a tech link so MOTU can figure it out. We need the Windows version to be a good alternative.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Hey Kurt,

I will try this when I get home for lunch. It's worth taking a look at. My memory (as best I can recall through my layer of computer rage) is that panning a track made no difference to the master, but I'm not sure if I ever just soloed a track. I did have say, a guitar track running to a guitar bus and when I would pan a single guitar track it didn't illustrate it.

Hey Bays,

it was good enough for George Martin, but not his Son! (see the Peppers remix)... and I have filed and finally got in touch with someone at Motu and will be sending them more info shortly. Regardless of what happens I will post whether there's a final fix (and how it was attained) or video footage of me smashing my computer and then dancing on it while crying.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I'm not sure the track really needs to be soloed, I just meant play a single track. I would also try playing a track that goes directly to the stereo output without going through a bus first.