Stereo option blanked out in 9.1 RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Stereo option blanked out in 9.1

Post by stubbsonic »

Would inserting a mono plugin cause you to lose pan/bal functionality?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
atemporarywind
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by atemporarywind »

Hello Stubb,

definitely another thing to look into but the master fader and busses I had assigned plugins to only let me use Stereo versions of the plugins... however, I suppose if one leaked through without me noticing then maybe its possible... anything is possible at the moment.

thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it as well.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Does your audio interface have its own console app? Any chance things are getting panned center there?
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Good News Everyone, I'm an idiot.

Kurt's suspicions were correct, there was an outboard set up in Antelope Audio that was panned Mono and when I went left and right with it, it all unfolded into a beautiful world of panning.

it also made my mono mix sound like hot garbage. :/

Thank you all for your suggestions and insights.

Hopefully I'll get well enough versed in the world of DP to be of help to someone down the line as opposed to just yelping for answers.

Be well,
-J
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Glad the problem is solved. I'll also mention that I see in your screen shot that you've got panning on some stereo tracks. The panpot in DP is really a balance control on stereo tracks. Panning left just turns up the left channel and turns down the right channel.

I would suggest you leave the pan centered on stereo tracks and insert the "Trim" plugin, which gives you gain and pan for each side of the stereo track independently. I know it doesn't give the same visual feedback, but it gives you the ability to control the width of the stereo image and you don't lose the audio from one side when panning far.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
atemporarywind

Post by atemporarywind »

Thanks Kurt,

I actually utilized your tip on a mix last night with the Trim Plug in, brought a few things out in different ways that I hadn't tried before.

Thanks again for the tips and tricks. You should make videos about this stuff if you haven't already.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Glad you found it useful!