Merge MIDI Clips

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bcgreen24
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Merge MIDI Clips

Post by bcgreen24 »

Hi, all-- I'm brand new to DP (I literally started using it yesterday), and have a quick question: how do you merge MIDI clips in the Tracks view?

Thanks!
Bryan
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Merge MIDI Clips

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Drag them (or a selection) in the TRACKS window from where they are to where you want them. Mind the CC#64s and other controller data.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If you are talking about the way a MIDI track is displayed on the Tracks Overview as distinct blocks, and you are referring to these as "MIDI clips", you probably can't do what you are asking. These shapes are just DP's way of combining phrases into contiguous blobs. It seems to be somewhat simplistically based on how much space there is between notes.

[EDIT: CORRECTION] YOU HAVE SOME CONTROL OF HOW THESE BLOBS ARE SPLIT IN PREFERENCES/EDITING/TRACKS OVERVIEW/PHRASE SETTINGS. THOUGH THE SETTINGS ARE NOT SELF-EXPLANATORY (IMHO).

In DP, the workflow isn't so much about clips, although it can be (sort of), you just get good at selecting and working with selections.

I should mention that you can loop regions, and the loop functions are more flexible than with other DAWs (you can have a looping pattern overlapping non-looped, linear material, on the same track, for example).
Last edited by stubbsonic on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bcgreen24
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by bcgreen24 »

stubbsonic wrote:If you are talking about the way a MIDI track is displayed on the Tracks Overview as distinct blocks, and you are referring to these as "MIDI clips", you probably can't do what you are asking. These shapes are just DP's way of combining phrases into contiguous blobs. It seems to be somewhat simplistically based on how much space there is between notes.

You don't have any specific control over how those blobs are split up. But they don't really do anything other than give you an easy way to select these automatically portioned blobs.

In DP, the workflow isn't so much about clips, although it can be (sort of), you just get good at selecting and working with selections.

I should mention that you can loop regions, and the loop functions are more flexible than with other DAWs (you can have a looping pattern overlapping non-looped, linear material, on the same track, for example).
Thanks for this, and the looping info. I had also sent a message to MOTU, and they had responded with basically the same answer; there is, however, a way to set how far apart groups of notes have to be before you see a 'break in the blobs' (Preferences->Tracks Overview->Phrase Settings). Adjusting these settings has basically gotten me 90% of what I wanted...

Thanks!
Bryan
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Corrected above. Thanks.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com