MIDI Automation question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Automation question

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

Hi friends. Two questions on MIDI automation that I didn't see on here or laid out in the manual:

1) DP has Mix (volume, pan, and pitch) automation options that allow you to Overwrite, Latch, Trim, etc. Can these automation methods be used for recording MIDI data, like cc11 or Mod? I'm basically trying to overwrite recorded MIDI data in certain sections without having the curve jump to the old points when I'm not touching the controller. I guess a workaround is to delete the previously recorded data first, but I often record multiple cc's at once.

2) Is there a way to change MIDI cc automation settings to allow for smoother lines when recording? After recording, my curves are often jagged or stepped, causing me to go in and re-draw some of the curves to smooth them out.

thanks
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Automation question

Post by FMiguelez »

The answers are:
No (incredibly)
Yes

There's a setting where you can modify the ramps density, but I don't remember if it's in the Preferences or somewhere in the Studijo menu.
Don't use extreme settings unless you want to choke your computer.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

FMiguelez wrote:The answers are:
No (incredibly)
Yes

There's a setting where you can modify the ramps density, but I don't remember if it's in the Preferences or somewhere in the Studijo menu.
Don't use extreme settings unless you want to choke your computer.
That's a bummer on answer #1!
And found #2. "Ramp Density" is the term I was looking for. It's under "Continuous Data" in Preferences. Thanks!
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Yes. #1 is a total disaster.

Read this CC-automation related thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48467&hilit=Ccs+11+mute+7+latch
And
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50777&start=15#p430982

Warning: you will NOT like DP's current status regarding CC automation, and will be very disappointed.
I mean, you can not even mute any CC except for 7 and 10!

Some suggest working CCs in a dedicated track, but If you use a large template, like I do, and have tight deadlines to honor, this option is poo poo... :(
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Could using lanes, as provided in the latest version of DP, might make this task easier?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

HCMarkus wrote:Could using lanes, as provided in the latest version of DP, might make this task easier?
It certainly makes visualizing the CCs easier, but the functionality is still the same (no CC muting, they do not take advantage of ANY mixer mode, etc.).

I suppose that, as long as the project is not too large, lanes and extra tracks might work for some (definitely not for me. And I did try...).
But it is a band-aid. In 2017, something needs to be done about this (I suggested 4-5 points in the above cited thread).

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Woops..

I cited the wrong thread. I'm in my iPad and I feel crippled with it :(

This is the thread I meant, but both are actually relevant...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=50777&start=15#p430982

This is a list of basic things I wish we could do, but we can't....
FMiguelez wrote: 1.- Because I want to be able to temporarily and selectively disable or enable ANY CC I want with the Automation Setup dialog box.
This is SO important with a VI such as Vienna Instruments.

2.- Because I want to be able to record any CC with my controller using the mixer’s record-automation features, just like if they were 10 or 7. I want to be able to use Touch mode, Latch mode, Range Touch mode, etc.
I want to be able to move fader #3 (wich sends CC 35) and make as easy and intuitive to mess with it as if it were MIDI volume.

[EDIT]
2a.- Because I want to use any of the advanced mixer's record-automation features to perfect, overdub and tweak my CCs performances with my Novation controller.

3.- Because I want consistency in the way one records and plays ALL CCs (simply pressing the Automation Record button to record them and using the Automation Play button to engage or disengage it).