Two Questions...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
scottyhuff
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Two Questions...

Post by scottyhuff »

Sorry in advance. I'm trying out DP 9 for Windows in hopes to switch to it from PT for film work. I have a couple questions:

1. When setting up a Vienna Ensemble Pro instrument into a V-Rack, I'd like to rename each VR channel to match the VEP Instance; for example "Omnisphere" as opposed to "Vienna Ensemble Pro MAS-1", which is not very descriptive. Anyone know how to do this?

2. When setting an I/O for each VEP instrument, I get a MASSIVE list of instruments (because I have a lot) but there is no scrollbar to quickly navigate the list. The mouse scroll wheel doesn't scroll through the list either. The only way to move up and down is to use the tiny up arrow at the top of the list or down arrow at the bottom. And the scroll speed is excruciatingly slow. I've looked for a setting, but I'm guessing this is just the way it is. It acts like a left over from the Mac world instead of using the built-in Windows format. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Scotty
ata

Re: Two Questions...

Post by ata »

Hi, i have several questions too
I have such problem as I have an MIDI track sending to an instrument track and a corresponding audio track receiving from the intrument track. Volume fader on MIDI track is set to 127, pan to 64. But when i press playback pan on audio track pan automatically shifts to 100% right panning position. If I move audio track's pan knob back to center it again shifts to 100% right at playback. I selected all corresponding knobs and sliders and tried clear MIDI learning. It flashed green but nothing helps.
And my second question is some tracks have no blue fader bars. How can I put those bars on them?
Also one guy told me that all his instruments tracks are attached to buses because only this way he can route outputs 1\2 of multiout vst to an audio track. I don't see the way to route outputs 1\2 to an audio track without creating a bus so i just don't route any instruments to outs 1\2 inside the vst itself and leave those outputs without any signal. And assign instruments to outs starting from 3\4. What is the correct way: to create buses or my way? Do buses create additional latencies?
And what for is auto dividing of clips into phrases (another clips)? I switched it off though.
Also what's the correct way to emulate mic crosstalk\bleed when you hear another insturment at low volume from the mic of another instrument. I am going to create an aux bus and make aux sends from audio tracks to be used in given song to that bus. I have checked that method with another daw and want to replicate it on dp. May be you know more advanced or correct ways?
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by FMiguelez »

scottyhuff wrote: 1. When setting up a Vienna Ensemble Pro instrument into a V-Rack, I'd like to rename each VR channel to match the VEP Instance; for example "Omnisphere" as opposed to "Vienna Ensemble Pro MAS-1", which is not very descriptive. Anyone know how to do this?
Simply Option-click on the V-rack, i.e. In the mixer, and edit the name to your liking. The bundles will also reflect this name.
scottyhuff wrote: 2. When setting an I/O for each VEP instrument, I get a MASSIVE list of instruments (because I have a lot) but there is no scrollbar to quickly navigate the list. The mouse scroll wheel doesn't scroll through the list either. The only way to move up and down is to use the tiny up arrow at the top of the list or down arrow at the bottom. And the scroll speed is excruciatingly slow. I've looked for a setting, but I'm guessing this is just the way it is. It acts like a left over from the Mac world instead of using the built-in Windows format. Am I missing something?
I think so... It sounds like a problem with your mouse. I can scroll instantly from top to bottom of the massive list using the scroll wheel (I'm on a Mac).
Doing it otherwise is painfully slow, I agree.

BTW, you can shorten the instruments list by deleting unused bundles from the Bundles window. You can do it manually, or have DP automatically do it for you by pressing a button in that window.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ata wrote:Hi, i have several questions too
I have such problem as I have an MIDI track sending to an instrument track and a corresponding audio track receiving from the intrument track. Volume fader on MIDI track is set to 127, pan to 64. But when i press playback pan on audio track pan automatically shifts to 100% right panning position. If I move audio track's pan knob back to center it again shifts to 100% right at playback. I selected all corresponding knobs and sliders and tried clear MIDI learning. It flashed green but nothing helps.
Hmmmm... That's strange. It sounds like you already have panning automation in your audio track.
Can you see any automation in the MIDI or audio tracks? If so, simply delete it.
ata wrote: And my second question is some tracks have no blue fader bars. How can I put those bars on them?
Blue fader bars? I've never seen them. I'm not sure about what you mean. Please clarify.
ata wrote: Also one guy told me that all his instruments tracks are attached to buses because only this way he can route outputs 1\2 of multiout vst to an audio track. I don't see the way to route outputs 1\2 to an audio track without creating a bus so i just don't route any instruments to outs 1\2 inside the vst itself and leave those outputs without any signal. And assign instruments to outs starting from 3\4. What is the correct way: to create buses or my way? Do buses create additional latencies?
You can create an extra bus, or simply start your bus numbering from 3-4. The latter is how I do it. The advantage is that you save bundles for more important things. Just leave the VI's main out to 1-2 (the default). This way, you will always hear whatever unrouted signal you have from your VI there, like a "catch-all" track. If you want to print it, send it from VE to whatever track you wish.
BTW, I think it's good that you are using audio tracks instead of aux tracks for this.
ata wrote: And what for is auto dividing of clips into phrases (another clips)? I switched it off though.
Yes, the way it works now is pretty useless. I also have it off. You won't miss anything.
ata wrote: Also what's the correct way to emulate mic crosstalk\bleed when you hear another insturment at low volume from the mic of another instrument. I am going to create an aux bus and make aux sends from audio tracks to be used in given song to that bus. I have checked that method with another daw and want to replicate it on dp. May be you know more advanced or correct ways?
If I understand you correctly, what you propose could work. I've never seen anyone emulating that when it is not a native feature of the VI (like it is with Superior Drummer 3). I suppose you would also have to use some EQ for proper emulation.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ata

Post by ata »

What do VE and VI stand for?
I have met several posts in forums where people try emulating mic crossfeed\bleed\crosstalk. The simplest way I go with is creating aux bus and sending aux sends to them from all tracks of the song in pre or post mode. I think pre is better coz it saves latency. I put plate reverb on that bus so tracks get kind of common space for being mixed. I also put satson channel everywhere. All this alltogether makes sound more alive. One moment I was just shocked how natually solo acoustic guitar sounded as if recorded in a studio for millions of usds. I by chance listened to one own recording I had forgot about and first thought it was some wav file sounding from a band recorded in a studio. It was just a lucky random setting but as far as i remember the output from that aux bus was quite loud perhaps the same volume level as that of the instrument's audio track. In this case there was just interaction of two reverbs (vb-audio aphro plate with predelay On and some slight ping-pong configuring inside that preset, and i think samplitude's efx_reverb on crosstalk aux bus + 2 satson ch vsts on both tracks + and satson bus -> tube saturator 2 vst on master. When i replaced 32-bit aphro by 64-bit valhalla sound air is totally lost and get mud instead. I am looking for a decent 64-bit substitute for aphro because 32-bit gives large latency to me.
Last edited by ata on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ata

Post by ata »

By the way using audio tracks instead of buses is totally silly and misleading. I have figured out why that guy used all tracks as aux buses. He did it to have POSSIBILITY to do ducking via side-chain compressing. Ducking is another important feature of emulating analog studio. So you just MUST create your instument's audio tracks as buses and not as simple audio tracks to be able to have that ability and this advice refers not only to DP but to all daws. Unfortunately that guy was cunning and mean and was not explaining why he did this or that trying to sniff out my own secrets. Luckily I have cracked that egg of secret and pulled the truth out. I hope it will help to musicians who will come across this page.
ata

Post by ata »

Blue fader bars? I've never seen them. I'm not sure about what you mean. Please clarify.
Open mixer and you will see blue or other depending on your skin strip which sets fader position in the inserts chain.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

ata wrote:What do VE and VI stand for?
Well, in this context I think he means VE = "Vienna Ensemble" and in the context of VSL products, VI means "Vienna Instruments" which are individual instruments sold separated from the ensemble format.

In a general, non-VSL context, VI = "Virtual Instrument" or VST instrument.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
FMiguelez

Re: Two Question

Post by FMiguelez »

ata wrote:What do VE and VI stand for?
I have met several posts in forums where people try emulating mic crossfeed\bleed\crosstalk. The simplest way I go with is creating aux bus and sending aux sends to them from all tracks of the song in pre or post mode.
Are you sure that's what they're trying to emulate?
What you're describing in your post sounds to me just like normal effects treatment via send busses, like reverb and delay, nothing to do with bleed or crosstalk. Nothing out of the ordinary...

I've only seen mic bleed emulations from VIs such as Superior Drummer and the like. There are orchestral packages that offer different mic positions.... But to purposely emulate crossfeed/bleed? Sounds like a nightmare to me.
ata wrote: I think pre is better coz it saves latency.
I don't think so. Pre or post mode refer to how the signal is routed to the send buss (before or after it reaches the fader of the track). Each mode has its purpose. Nothing to do with latency.
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ata wrote:By the way using audio tracks instead of buses is totally silly and misleading. I have figured out why that guy used all tracks as aux buses. He did it to have POSSIBILITY to do ducking via side-chain compressing. Ducking is another important feature of emulating analog studio. So you just MUST create your instument's audio tracks as buses and not as simple audio tracks to be able to have that ability and this advice refers not only to DP but to all daws. Unfortunately that guy was cunning and mean and was not explaining why he did this or that trying to sniff out my own secrets. Luckily I have cracked that egg of secret and pulled the truth out. I hope it will help to musicians who will come across this page.
I don't know whcih guy you'r referring to, or what you mean by "using audio tracks instead of buses is silly and misleading".

Let me assure you BOTH ways have their purpose and each works great depending on your workflow and what you wish to accomplish. There's nothing "silly" and nothing "misleading" about it.

You can duck tracks either way, BTW. All you have to do is send signal, somehow, to the compressors' Side chain input (from a track's output or from any of its sends; both are via buses).

I also don't understand what you mean by "...you MUST create your audio tracks as buses and not simply audio tracks"...
You usually take the track's signal via its output (some bus) somewhere, i.e., a submaster aux track or to the master fader via a bus. You can also route a parallel signal from the same track via its sends (a bus) anywhere you want, i.e., to a reverb or delay aux, or anywhere else. Both use buses for this. So it's not that you must do it one way or the other. DP is very flexible and allows a myriad ways to accomplish the same thing with its awesome signal routing.

Please clarify.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:I also don't understand what you mean by "...you MUST create your audio tracks as buses and not simply audio tracks"...
This is confusing. Maybe the OP is making the distinction between channels and tracks. I think in DP you once had to create audio channels, then decide how to allocate tracks to channels. In Logic that is still in part the way it works, and tracks are more or less just play lists for regions.

Bleed: is the point that in old analog stuff, channel cross-talk is part of the "sound", and if you want that (I wouldn't: I spent a lot in audio days to get rid of it) you have to set up deliberate cross talk?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ata wrote:I have cracked that egg of secret and pulled the truth out.
Something is definitely cracked here.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:
ata wrote:I have cracked that egg of secret and pulled the truth out.
Something is definitely cracked here.
It's an en-egg-ma
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
zandurian

Post by zandurian »

bayswater wrote: It's an en-egg-ma
Lol - and how convenient that it is just the proper season for such a pun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
----------------------------------
Mac Pro (early 2009 - originally 4,1 - flashed to 5,1) 2 x 3.42 GHz 6-Core Xeon X5690, 64 gigs PC3-10600 RAM, OS 10.13.3, DP9.52, UAD2 duo, UAD2 solo,
Superior drummer 2, Mach 5-3, Ivory, PCIe 424, BL modded 24i/o, MIDI express XT, unisyn, Melodyne 2, Izotope RX2, Addictive Drums, Pianoteq
ata

Post by ata »

I normally use sequoia and not very experienced with dp. I will ignore any trolls' posts to put it short. As for the rest requests for clarification DP has non-standard way of rooting in my opinion. For example in sequoia you do not create buses in a separate window. You only create tracks as audio or MIDI tracks or aux busses or submix busses. By right clicking on any track you can choose options and choose to make any track to be a bus or submix bus or both.
Yes the described way of creating crossalk\crossbleed is very simple and yet very affective. You can find a lot of manuals\advice suggesting doubling tracks with equalizing them differently or otherwise modifying to get some phase shift which kind of stereorizes a track and make it sound fatter. Instead of doing it and loading your cpu you can do as I have told you ie that crosstalk bus acts like you have doubled all your tracks thus saving resources. Of course I have only way of modification and still all your tracks immediately get more space and glue to gether. If you create more such crosstalk busses with different modification you will get even more space and glue but it will take more hw power and of course increases latency. So one bus is quite enough and as for emulations of consoles like satson, stripbus, vcc they don't provide crosstalk between tracks, they only do crosstalk between L and R channels within a track.