Keyboard Splits and other MIDI filtering using Cantabile

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Keyboard Splits and other MIDI filtering using Cantabile

Post by terrybritton »

Brad, the author of Cantabile 3, just posted an interesting article on using Cantabile 3 as a host for VST plugins from MIDI-Only programs (and, not surprisingly, also from any DAW), and doing so avails you to the great MIDI filters found in Cantabile for key-splits, transposing, channelizing, CC routing, note-to-note-range, and more from DP. Cantabile is extremely light-weight, and is much more robust and stable than some other options.

I own and use the full "Performer" version of the software, but this likely works to many people's liking (and needs) using the free version. The demo download includes the free version.

PC only now, but MAC version on the way!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Keyboard Splits and other MIDI filtering using Cantabile

Post by Prime Mover »

looks very promising, I'll get it as soon as a Mac version comes out.

Still... I wish MIDI range filtering could be done on the MIDI track itself, so I didn't have to deal with all the extra events recorded to the track out of range.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Keyboard Splits and other MIDI filtering using Cantabile

Post by Michael Canavan »

Prime Mover wrote:looks very promising, I'll get it as soon as a Mac version comes out.

Still... I wish MIDI range filtering could be done on the MIDI track itself, so I didn't have to deal with all the extra events recorded to the track out of range.
Agreed 100% it's the biggest glaring omission from DPs otherwise fantastic MIDI handling!
I have two controller keyboards for times I'm composing using two separate Virtual instruments, but it would be nice not to have to rely on the VI for splits etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.