Balancing DP levels with all the other sounds in windows

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jazzylee77
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Balancing DP levels with all the other sounds in windows

Post by jazzylee77 »

The level from DP or any standalone VSTs I use is about half the volume of things like Youtube Videos, podcasts etc. This can lead to some bad surprises. I had a crackly speaker in my old Roland monitors and don't want to turn around and damage the Mackies I just installed. (Improved design has decent bottom sound great to me and cheap - Mackie MR5 mk3)

I have a steinberg UR22. If the other windows stuff can't be leveled back, maybe there is a way I could use the realtec outputs from the motherboard sent to different speakers?

DP8 - Windows 10 - i7 4ghz - 32 GB RAM - All Internal SSD harmonica with only one broken reed, lava lamp, cordless drill
jazzylee77

Re: Balancing DP levels with all the other sounds in windows

Post by jazzylee77 »

I think I'm just going to have to be be careful. :smash:
DP8 - Windows 10 - i7 4ghz - 32 GB RAM - All Internal SSD harmonica with only one broken reed, lava lamp, cordless drill
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

You showed us the Recording levels, but what of the Playback section's Levels tab? That is the place where the level of Windows apps would be pulled down. The DAW should be sending via straight ASIO to the interface.

This sounds odd, because I have no such issue with any of my USB interfaces presenting volume strangeness. Is there a knob on the front of the Steinberg? (There is on several others that controls output...)

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
jazzylee77

Post by jazzylee77 »

terrybritton wrote:You showed us the Recording levels, but what of the Playback section's Levels tab? That is the place where the level of Windows apps would be pulled down. The DAW should be sending via straight ASIO to the interface.

This sounds odd, because I have no such issue with any of my USB interfaces presenting volume strangeness. Is there a knob on the front of the Steinberg? (There is on several others that control output...)

Terry
I messed up on the images, but the playback tab just has the one fader as well. Single output gain on the interface. It's probably all balanced in theory. But when I go from a solo violin sample and woodwinds, grab a coffee, decide to take a shower, then turn on an internet radio station that begins with a thunderous ad turned up to 11. Ok, user error.

This happens occasionally because I run my audio out through a patchbay and then send to speakers in my bathroom and kitchen. On the plus side, I regularly hear my mix on different speakers. Negative, I accidentally push my monitors too hard when I'm playing other audio. I really just need to not be a dope and leave the interface output cranked after a louder monitoring session. Or.. I could run house audio from another computer sitting here.

I quit drinking again a couple months ago. That might help. :arrrr:
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

I also have a multi-speaker situation, and I've taken to using the little donationware app Voicemeeter to split things out among them. That is, I set my ASIO device as the A1 output device (which sets the buffer rate for all others), and then my A2 output to my Windows Audio built-in soundcard. I then have two volume sliders to control levels with (the A1 and A2 sliders). Another plus is that it is more stable than my MOTU Windows-Audio drivers when sample rates change. I have Voicemeeter set up as my default playback device in the Windows Audio control panel. Voicemeeter appears to my DAW as an ASIO device (it is "virtual" ASIO similar to ASIO4All).

I also use Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" for managing system vs. DAW audio in live YouTube streams - works wonderfully!

I have many videos on the subject of using Voicemeeter for various tasks at my YouTube channel, some of which have been featured at the author's website at the bottom of his pages.

Perhaps that will be helpful?

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

jazzylee77

Post by jazzylee77 »

terrybritton wrote:I also have a multi-speaker situation, and I've taken to using the little donationware app Voicemeeter to split things out among them. That is, I set my ASIO device as the A1 output device (which sets the buffer rate for all others), and then my A2 output to my Windows Audio built-in soundcard. I then have two volume sliders to control levels with (the A1 and A2 sliders). Another plus is that it is more stable than my MOTU Windows-Audio drivers when sample rates change. I have Voicemeeter set up as my default playback device in the Windows Audio control panel. Voicemeeter appears to my DAW as an ASIO device (it is "virtual" ASIO similar to ASIO4All).

I also use Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" for managing system vs. DAW audio in live YouTube streams - works wonderfully!

I have many videos on the subject of using Voicemeeter for various tasks at my YouTube channel, some of which have been featured at the author's website at the bottom of his pages.

Perhaps that will be helpful?

Terry
D
Yes, it sounds helpful! I'll check it out. I was starting to feel like I was asking some dumb questions.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

jazzylee77 wrote:D
Yes, it sounds helpful! I'll check it out. I was starting to feel like I was asking some dumb questions.
Definitely not!! :)

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid