running multiple audio cards in DP 9 windows 10

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
drdave007
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

running multiple audio cards in DP 9 windows 10

Post by drdave007 »

I'm having problems getting 2 cards at the same time in DP 9 windows ...its easy to do in mac osx but I just can't get them to highlight together... I have an apollo quad and a 828mk3...like I said said they work together fine on my mac set up...I'm just not as knowledgeable about the windows hardware set up...I've tried all the button combos....shift..command...control/command...I'm stumped!! thanks for your help! DAve
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: running multiple audio cards in DP 9 windows 10

Post by terrybritton »

Macs have a thing called "aggregating" that allows multiple ASIO drivers and devices to run at the same time.

For some reason, having multiple ASIO HARDWARE devices via USB fails in Windows. Units having multi-device drivers are required. These units are rare.

The best I have been able to do is to daisychain via Firewire two MOTU boxes (Ultralite mk3 hybrid and 828 mk3 hybrid) - they did not work well together via USB at all.

I do not know of a solution to this, or if there is one. I am only sharing what was my own experience. I was pretty upset that I had to go the Firewire route (had to buy a card and cables), as the MOTU boxes were marketed that they would daisychain easily - they obviously were being Mac-myopic. I've been all around this with tech support. The Firewire approach didn't work well - they would go out of sync with each other entirely randomly, and I never got it to work in a stable manner. Anyway, that only worked because the two shared the same driver, supposedly.

I just S/PDIF one into the other now.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Also, see this article at Sound-On-Sound. Old but still current as to most of the info in it. The article details using ASIO4ALL as a workaround.

Terry
Last edited by terrybritton on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

drdave007

Post by drdave007 »

terrybritton wrote:Also, see this article at Sound-On-Sound. Old but still current as to most of the info in it. The article details using ASIO4ALL as a workaround.

Terry
I think I replied in the wrong section...oops... i'm a bit new to posting.. Yes thanks for the reply!! I'm trying a few things out ... I do have the cards running through a fiewire and tried daisy chaining...it didn't work... maybe because they are different cards and need different drivers.I would think this would be a major problem for people needing lots of outputs in a studio ... like myself...its hard to imagine there isn't a fix for this!!
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

Yes - definitely hard to imagine there is not a fix for this. Well, other than dumping ASIO and using WDM... Windows 10 has supposedly been improving the latency on their WDM audio layer deep down, and might even continue that trend.

Like I said, I gave up on using two interfaces into the same PC via Firewire (even sharing the same driver!) due to crackles and crazy whistles from sync blowing up. I use S/PDIF to bring the mix of one unit into the other one now, or sometimes just an audio line out from one into an audio input on the other. At least I get the signal there! I have to adjust the one being S/PDIF'd-in from that unit's front panel or via a second computer.

I hope they get the latency down even further for WDM - it still feels rather sluggish to me, particularly when playing piano or drum/percussion parts.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

drdave007

Post by drdave007 »

terrybritton wrote:Yes - definitely hard to imagine there is not a fix for this. Well, other than dumping ASIO and using WDM... Windows 10 has supposedly been improving the latency on their WDM audio layer deep down, and might even continue that trend.

Like I said, I gave up on using two interfaces into the same PC via Firewire (even sharing the same driver!) due to crackles and crazy whistles from sync blowing up. I use S/PDIF to bring the mix of one unit into the other one now, or sometimes just an audio line out from one into an audio input on the other. At least I get the signal there! I have to adjust the one being S/PDIF'd in from that unit's front panel or via a second computer.

I hope they get the latency down even further for WDM - it still feels rather sluggish to me, particularly when playing piano or drum/percussion parts.

Terry
Well thanks for your time and help... guess I'll just wait it out... I do have a nice mac set up that works great... that I can mix on... I go 32 channels out of my computer so I need the extra sound cards... I thought I must be doing something wrong... so I guess i'm to belive that all the studios that use digital performer on windows use only one card... with some break out adats... hopefully they write a little fix for this... it doesn't seem like it would be too big of a deal.... well ...have a great day!!!
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

You too! And welcome to Motunation.com - it is a really great bunch of folks. I've been helped enormously here.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid