DP8~audio configuration issues

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8~audio configuration issues

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Thank you for taking a moment to read my issue.

I have a Roland ua 101 interface that supports asio. So I go to audio hardware configuration in dp8, and attempt to snag that. It will switch to asio from windows management, but it the next box where I would choose the ua 101, it highlights ua 101 as if it's going to drop it into the box but when I click on it, it defaults back to an empty blank window.
I hope that's enough to go by.

I've had DP8.06 for about a year and I keep coming back to it hoping I can do something with it but I end up spending hours getting absolutely nowhere.
So I've gone to sonar platinum and of course I have certain issues there as well.
I went to the Roland vs 2480 and again, more nightmares.
I haven't recorded 1 complete song in over 10 years, when my trusty Teac 3440 never let me down.
I'm 64. I can't take much more of this tech learning curve delay.
Ready to toss it all and either go back to the reel to reel or whittle.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8~audio configuration issues

Post by HCMarkus »

HD, sounds like you may have written a new verse to the Beatles' "When I'm 64." :smash:

As a Mac guy, I'm not in a position to assist other than to suggest that, absent an answer posted here, you reach out to MOTU support via telephone to get DP and your interface working.

Before you do that, make sure you have up to date drivers installed for your Roland interface.

One thought: if you simply hit "OK" after selecting AISO (when the Roland is highlighted), will the Roland interface be selected?

When you do get this rolling, I think you will find DP offers significant improvements over your Teac. But you gotta' love tape. Good Luck!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

When you do get it resolved, please post here so that others can be helped.

Hmmm... I have a 3440 in my basement... and a 40-4, 35-2, 80-8, 238-S and a couple of Sonys, a Dokorder... My basement is where analog goes to retire, never to be seen again.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by HARDDRlVER »

*Mike*
A 3440 in your basement
Blasphemy!
I owned a pair of 3440's along with their optional dbx units for many years loved bouncing back and forth. I sold one. I also have an x1000r, but that's just a stereo deck.

And to the other post, I do have the latest drivers in the Roland (Edirol). The unto seems to work fine in Sonar platinum, but I have hang ups with that as well.
But with dp8, last year I has issues with clockworks. Another that I was really pulling my hair out was my motu MIDI express XT USB (the new one). This overglorified MIDI thru box is supposed to separate 8 MIDI devices of 16 MIDI channels each, and route them to wherever you need them to go. Essentially a 128 discreet MIDI channel box.
Seeing as how it's motu as well as DP8, you'd think they'd play well together. I have 7 different MIDI items that all want to send and receive their own separate MIDI signals. That's the whole purpose of the XT usb. But they didnt. Motu support couldn't find the answer either.
Ik, that was a year ago or so. I went back to the Roland standalone VS2480 recorder. A lot of fun, but it's not nearly as fluid as a pc based system.
Eventually I kept coming back to the motu setup, and for some unknown reason, the issue I had back then somehow resolved it's issues. Maybe while I was off with the 2480, the XT and DP8 came to an understanding. THAT problem was...when I would create a MIDI track the channel would 'see' all 8 different devices upon input and each of their 16 MIDI channels. That's perfect. But upon the outputs I would only see your basic 16 MIDI channels. It was like there was no connection back to the 8 devices which are connected to the XT.
Well, now it's working, but I don't know what fixed it.
Back to Sonar...when I dropped the 2480 to first try the pc format again, I first went to Sonar, simply because Sonar is related to Cakewalk and Cakewalk is related to Roland...which makes the interface. My instant problem with Sonar was that it wouldn't show ANY of the XT inputs or outputs, but it DID lock into the asio option as does the interface.
Seeing as how Sonar can't see any devices on the XT...back to DP8 I go. Everything appears to look ok, except I can't get dp8 to recognize the Roland interface as the asio driver. In that one little window it shows (what is it...help me...)...you have an option of using..is it windows...something audio driver...you know, the default, but it also shows the Roland interface as an option (ua-101). You would think you can click on that and it would drop itself into the window. Well you can see ua101, but clicking on it makes it dissappear..blank empty window.
From what I understand, asio is the only way to adjust latency, among other things, such as the default windows driver has limitations when it comes to multitasking recording.
So sonar...no motu XT showing up
Motu dp9, no ability to choose the interface's asio driver.

And I must apologize. When I first came back to this website yesterday, I guess I entered my info into the incorrect forum...I don't know...I'll have to check.

But hey Mike, I'd live to rent your basement. I could finally get some stuff done. 80-8...nice.

I would give all this up for a decent Tasca ms16 or msr24.
I'm 64, my music isn't going anywhere. It's but a wonderful hobby now, but I do want to leave my little legacy for those I love. Songs I wrote 50 years ago now..they deserve to be printed.

Sorry for such a long post.
My wife says that's my biggest problem. My post is too big
I say ...nay nay..