Best conversions 96k to 44.1 questions

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Best conversions 96k to 44.1 questions

Post by Timeline »

Im mastering mixes for an artist for a cd release. We have been working at 96k 32 bit and love the sound. So much so that when I put these mixes into DSP Quattro and burn a CD I'm very discouraged. The artist wants to know if going to a pro mastering facility would be better. I really don't know what to tell him. I would think though that they have spent money to greatly enhance, with gear, what I can do in software. Your comments please. Thanks, GB
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
EMRR

Re: Best conversions 96k to 44.1 questions

Post by EMRR »

If you are fully ITB all the way to the 44.1/16 reduction, there shouldn't be any real difference from what a mastering house would deliver, apples to apples. They may deliver a better sonic outcome through other processing, but no better on conversion.

Are you doing any processing in DSP Quattro, or simply adding PQ/ID and burning? I might consider doing EVERYTHING in DP, including the conversion, and only do PQ/ID in DSP Quattro, see if you note any difference. Any sort of small test.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

There's this:

http://src.infinitewave.ca

If you look at DP (unfortunately there hasn't been updated testing since DP7) it looks pretty good. DSP Quatro doesn't look bad either. Also, consider what dithering and noise shaping you're using. I've been using iZotope Ozone and there haven't been any complaints. I'm just guessing here, but the difference you're hearing may just be the difference between 96 and 44.1 K. I really do believe I can hear the difference. Perhaps your clients can as well. Then again, perhaps I'm full of •••• and it's just the placebo effect. Dunno.

BTW, one reason I like using iZotope as a plugin is that I can listen to the SRC/dithering in real time and try different settings to see what sounds best. Does DSP let you do that? Have you tried different dithering settings?

Phil
Last edited by Phil O on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Appreciate the comments. Yep everything in D-Q. The client I have seems good with it now because he's heading mix issues instead of overall tone at the moment so were good. I have one more cd to mix next month so I will try conversions in DP for that. I too think its 96 yo 44.1 thats bothersome the most. :-)
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2