Gain automation tool?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Gain automation tool?

Post by mikehalloran »

If you want non linear gain then you can use something like a dynamics plugin. If you want linear gain then that's the same as volume. So just run the track through two faders in sequence. Call the first one gain and its volume automation is now gain automation. Call the second one volume.
As far as I can tell, that's what the Utility plug in Ableton does. They route it through an aux track—no reason why that can't be done in DP.

I use bite gain. If there's too much noise for that to be effective, I will run it through Ozone first.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Gain automation tool?

Post by mesayre »

These are all fine suggestions, but I'd also like to point out that the original problem (globally adjusting automation) can also be solved using either the Region menu's "Change continuous data" command or by using the Reshape tool in Scale or Add mode. The latter will even let you do non-linear scaling if you select the parabola or spline shape.

Both work equally well on MIDI or Automation data, and don't require any of this aux track business. Might be worth a try.

Edit: I also forgot to mention the "Trim" modes for writing automation, which are designed for this purpose and will let you do it in real time if you want. Pop the track into "Trim Touch" and automate away. It'll scale automation whenever you move the fader.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB