Need a new MBP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need a new MBP

Post by dix »

I know it's not the best time to buy one, because I think the line is about to refresh, but I may need a new MacBook Pro.

There's a few flavors of the 2015 MBP with and without discrete, dedicated GPU. Does anyone if a better GPU would help DP. My understanding is that some apps offload processing power to the GPU for improved performance does anyone know if DP is such an app? I'm currently running DP on a MBP with dedicated Nvidia GPU for a project and it flies. I'm wondering if the GPU is helping.

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
mikehalloran

Re: Need a new MBP

Post by mikehalloran »

A dedicated GPU certainly can't hurt but I don't know how much it helps unless you are doing AV or film—then, yes.

You want an i7 Quad CPU. That does affect display in DP. I have A/B'd i7 vs i5 and Quad vs Duo more than once and the differences are dramatic.

If you can hold off till the MBP line refreshes, do so. There may be a feature you want in the new version or not. The current line will hit the Refurb Store the day after the new MBP is released—you lose the ability to build to order but there may be a stock model you like at a better price.

Rumors abound about the MBP including Skylake processors (very good and longer battery life), faster GPU (good) but one disturbs me: it might lose the i7 Quad like the Mini did in 2014 (not good). Anyway, it is likely that it will be announced during the WWDC on June 13 — if it is really coming at all.

I bought my daughter a new MBP last Christmas and am quite impressed with it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dix

Re: Need a new MBP

Post by dix »

Thanks!

Unfortunately I may need a new MBP before the next gen is available, but I will get the latest i7 version.

Your daughter's MBP has an integrated GPU?

I will need to use a 19inch, or bigger, monitor. Other factors are that I work to picture often and can foresee a situation when two external thunderbolt monitors would be needed. The internet is not clear on whether a dGPU would help with multiple monitors and/or running quicktime movies. I'm kind of guessing that it would.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com