MIDI Info via VE Pro 5 to DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dmerkel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI Info via VE Pro 5 to DP?

Post by dmerkel »

I am just completing the setup of VEP 5 on a slave machine, connected to DP; both machines are Win 8.1. Other than a couple minor firewall settings, the step up is working great. In the midst of constructing a few templates a question came to mind:

I have a handful of phrase-based libraries (Capriccio, Studio Drummer, etc) that offer the ability to drag a phrase from the instrument interface to the DAW to enable editing the MIDI phrase. Is it possible to do the same across VEP, or am I looking at additional license(s) to run Kontakt and instruments on two machines simultaneously? I'm hoping my question presents a false dichotomy. (or maybe, just maybe, I was just looking for somewhere to use that phrase :lol: )
The music comes out of me and into you and becomes all of us. Together we take that out into the world. ~adapt. fr B. McFerrin
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Info via VE Pro 5 to DP?

Post by FMiguelez »

Some vendors allow you to have 2 functioning installations on different machines, as long as they're not used simultaneously.

This is one of the reasons I decided to port most of my libraries with drag and drop capabilities to my main computer instead of the slaves.

Back in the day, when MachFive 3 USED to work, it was tiring to constantly drag stuff from MF to the slave Finder, and then copy it to the main computer via ethernet (MIDI performances, loops, etc.).
After 10 times of doing that you realise it's better to keep those libraries in the main machine. So I switched a lot of stuff around, and kept things like VSL exclusively in the slaves, and MF, Stylus, et al in the main computer. Much faster workflow and project management. IMO.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
dmerkel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MIDI Info via VE Pro 5 to DP?

Post by dmerkel »

Thanks for the feedback drawn from experience. I received a suggestion from VSL support that I could drag and drop to a shared folder, then pull it into DP - that sounds similar to what you were doing. Your advice has some definite advantage in overall workflow and efficiency.
Thanks again!
The music comes out of me and into you and becomes all of us. Together we take that out into the world. ~adapt. fr B. McFerrin