Latency on Surface pro 4 with Fastlane

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
johannes2510
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Latency on Surface pro 4 with Fastlane

Post by johannes2510 »

I am a total windows newbe.

I am trying to use my Surface pro 4 as a master machine and my Mac G5 as a slave.

My equipements:

Master keyboard MIDI > Motu Fastlane (MIDI only interface) > Interface audio-MIDI Motu 828mk2 > Mac G5 connected with firewire

The succsess:

I have create a MIDI network with rtpMidi (wifi through a router but I will network through ethernet).

DP 9 on the surface and Kontakt/Ivory ad so on, standalone as players on the G5; all ok

DP9 on the Surface and DP 7 on the G5 as player (using v-racks or intruments tracks) as a sync slave (slave to external sync with MTC); all ok

(Still serching a free solution for stream the audio over network from the G5 back to the Surface, so I don't must record the VI's tracks as audio tracks on DP on the G5 and put in the DP project on the surface.
It works but it's a pain... If any advice....)

The problem is the latency between the Fastlane and the Surface connected with usb.

I have try all the combination with Asio4all driver with buffer sizes and sampling rates and with WASAPI (windows audio session) that apparently don't have a configuration panel for buffer sizes and samplig rates.

Any suggestions?

(The Fastlane plugged directly on the G5 or passtrough the 828mk2 not have latency at all).

PS
Sorry for my english :)
DP 10.01
johannes2510

Re: Latency on Surface pro 4 with Fastlane

Post by johannes2510 »

Just for info for the comunity....

More test and:

-With WASAPI (windows audio) a very little less latency, but still there.

-I have installed the trial of Cubase 8 elements and, with ASIO driver and same MIDI connection (Motu fastlane), no latency at all!

So, I suppose that the problem is the way DP manage the audio driver on the Surface/Windows 10.

Question: with an external usb audio interface, that manage the audio and bypass the windows sistem, the latency on DP go away?

I was thinking about a small and simple interface (and reasonable cheap) like Steimberg or Focusrite.

Any advice?
DP 10.01
johannes2510

Re: Latency on Surface pro 4 with Fastlane

Post by johannes2510 »

For information:

After the last Windows update, not "creative update", with ASIO driver the latency is gone!

I don't know why, but now it's perfect and I have made no changes on ASIO driver (ASIO for all).

Still the same latency with WASAPI but now I can work as usual with ASIO.
DP 10.01