Template Ideas

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
PoliticalBonobo
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Template Ideas

Post by PoliticalBonobo »

I'm working on a creating a template project in DP9, so I can be faster and more efficient with my projects. However, I don't have a need (or desire) to simply have every plugin I own and every orchestral sample I own to be loaded. I prefer to only have the plugins and samples I want for the current project. This is what I was thinking:

-Create a V-Rack chunk for each plugin that uses samples or groups of samples (brass section, string quartet, etc.). I would only activate these chunks on an as-needed basis, or if working in another project I would Load the needed chunk.

-MIDI tracks will be routed to these V-Rack instruments and kept in folders in the Sequence

-Each track (audio, MIDI, and AUX) will be bussed to an audio track for final bouncing to be ready for mixing. It took me forever last project to go through and route/bounce all my tracks to prep for mixing. I might keep a "bank" of pre-routed audio tracks. My hope is to cut down on messing with busses entirely throughout a project.

Does anyone have any recommendations or better ideas? Again, I don't want to load every sample I own into every project.
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
Henry Robinett
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Template Ideas

Post by Henry Robinett »

I have different templates for different uses. I have a songwriter template for constructing songs with VIs, Kontakt, Battery, Falcon, Superior Drummer, Ivory, etc and the associated MIDI set up, guitar and audio tracks set up. Then I have a template for recording lessons for students, another for recording my various bands live in the studio or remotely.

Set up is so time consuming. I have complicated headphone cue mixes that it saves a ton of time setting it up before hand.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
PoliticalBonobo

Henry Robinett wrote:I have different templates for different uses. I have a songwriter template for constructing songs with VIs, Kontakt, Battery, Falcon, Superior Drummer, Ivory, etc and the associated MIDI set up, guitar and audio tracks set up. Then I have a template for recording lessons for students, another for recording my various bands live in the studio or remotely.

Set up is so time consuming. I have complicated headphone cue mixes that it saves a ton of time setting it up before hand.
Thanks for the info. Do you load all of your VIs and libraries in that one songwriter template or do you have multiple songwriter templates?
DP9.5 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, UA Apollo Quad FireWire interface, Desktop: Intel i7 5820K at 4.0ghz, MSI X99A Gaming 7 mobo, 48gb RAM (DDR4 at 2133 mhz), MSI GTX 960 2GD5T 2GB, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro m.2 SSD (project/system drive). VEP 6
Henry Robinett

Post by Henry Robinett »

I have a few different songwriter templates. But mostly they're just saved updates. I have different interfaces and use multiple. I generally use three ULN-8, sometimes less. Sometimes I use Battery instead of SD. Or sometimes Steven Slate Drums.

All the best,
www.henryrobinett.com
Check out my latest CD on iTunes.
I Have Known Mountains by Henry Robinett
https://itun.es/us/pi6C_
All the best,

Henry Robinett

2019 Mac Pro 16 core, 192 GB; 2 MacPro 5,1 Metric Halo ULN-8 3d (x6), ULN-2-3d, MIDI Express XT,
DP10.13, UAD2 Quad TB,Duo,solo, Fractal Ax Fx III, FM3, LF+12+, Altiverb 7, Pianoteq7, Falcon, Keyscape, Omnisphere, Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 3, Slate Drums, Live 10, Battery4, Diva, Spitfire Chamber and Symphony Strings, Ivory 2, Spectrafoo, Millennia HV3-D, many mics, many guitars . . ..
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:-Create a V-Rack chunk for each plugin that uses samples or groups of samples (brass section, string quartet, etc.). I would only activate these chunks on an as-needed basis, or if working in another project I would Load the needed chunk.

-MIDI tracks will be routed to these V-Rack instruments and kept in folders in the Sequence

-Each track (audio, MIDI, and AUX) will be bussed to an audio track for final bouncing to be ready for mixing. It took me forever last project to go through and route/bounce all my tracks to prep for mixing. I might keep a "bank" of pre-routed audio tracks. My hope is to cut down on messing with busses entirely throughout a project.
That's pretty much how my templates ended up after a lot of attempts. The one thing I did differently to reduce clutter, is to route audio from VIs directly to an audio track for the bounce, rather than via an Aux. The audio tracks have to have monitoring mode on to make that work, and latency has to be low.

Not sure what you mean about not loading every sample you own. Would that even be possible with any modern library? I have most VIs in a V-Rack, all deactivated, but set up to load a few commonly used sounds when they are activated.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
PoliticalBonobo

What do you do if you have effects or processing on that audio track that's ready for bounce? When you record onto those tracks, won't you be missing those effects?

I assumed for most people's orchestral libraries that they have every instrument loaded. Maybe they do using only one articulation or something.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:What do you do if you have effects or processing on that audio track that's ready for bounce? When you record onto those tracks, won't you be missing those effects?
Short answer is I don't. Apply effects to the VI outputs before rendering to audio. I use this setup to get a final set of dry audio tracks, and then apply effects while mixing.
PoliticalBonobo wrote: I assumed for most people's orchestral libraries that they have every instrument loaded. Maybe they do using only one articulation or something.
I'm probably not understanding what you mean. I don't load up instruments I'm not using.
PoliticalBonobo

bayswater wrote:
PoliticalBonobo wrote:What do you do if you have effects or processing on that audio track that's ready for bounce? When you record onto those tracks, won't you be missing those effects?
Short answer is I don't. Apply effects to the VI outputs before rendering to audio. I use this setup to get a final set of dry audio tracks, and then apply effects while mixing.
PoliticalBonobo wrote: I assumed for most people's orchestral libraries that they have every instrument loaded. Maybe they do using only one articulation or something.
I'm probably not understanding what you mean. I don't load up instruments I'm not using.
One thing I'm worrying about running into as I create template V-Racks is bussing. How do you manage bussing? I'm wondering how it's going to work when I load V-Racks (say drums) but have already filled up my busses because of templates.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

V-Racks don't change the way you do bussing. Run busses from VIs and to and from tracks and Auxes just as you would if these objects were not in a V-Rack. Naming the busses in the Bundles window helps keep track of them. Just set up bussing in the template, then turn off the V-Rack in the Chunks window before saving as a template.
PoliticalBonobo

bayswater wrote:V-Racks don't change the way you do bussing. Run busses from VIs and to and from tracks and Auxes just as you would if these objects were not in a V-Rack. Naming the busses in the Bundles window helps keep track of them. Just set up bussing in the template, then turn off the V-Rack in the Chunks window before saving as a template.
That's pretty much what I've been doing, but I'm worried about running out of busses. I've almost used all of them between pianos, quartet, and guitars v-racks (with 2 send tracks in each v-rack). What happens when I am in this project template and want to add say, a drums V-Rack? I could be overthinking this....
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

PoliticalBonobo wrote: That's pretty much what I've been doing, but I'm worried about running out of busses. I've almost used all of them between pianos, quartet, and guitars v-racks (with 2 send tracks in each v-rack). What happens when I am in this project template and want to add say, a drums V-Rack? I could be overthinking this....
Really?

How many busses are you using now? Are you using DP's maximum allowed?

If you are, then you might need to rethink your bussing and overall signal structure :?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PoliticalBonobo

I'm up to 52 busses out of 64! (That's the max, right?)
I have pianos and string quartet routed through VEP, and each instrument going to an aux than an final audio track (for final bouncing). So that's 2 busses (stereo) each instrument, followed by busses to auxes, followed by busses to the final audio tracks.
64 busses is really only 32 stereo tracks, which doesn't seem like THAT much when factoring aux's and sends and such.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:I'm up to 52 busses out of 64! (That's the max, right?)
I have pianos and string quartet routed through VEP, and each instrument going to an aux than an final audio track (for final bouncing). So that's 2 busses (stereo) each instrument, followed by busses to auxes, followed by busses to the final audio tracks.
64 busses is really only 32 stereo tracks, which doesn't seem like THAT much when factoring aux's and sends and such.
No, the max is not 64. See the web site section on specs.

Maximum mono busses: 198
Maximum stereo busses: 99
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

PoliticalBonobo wrote:I'm up to 52 busses out of 64! (That's the max, right?)
I have pianos and string quartet routed through VEP, and each instrument going to an aux than an final audio track (for final bouncing).
There's your culprit right there. You're duplicating and using redundant bundles because of the aux tracks. Why don't you buss VEP directly to audio tracks instead? Muuuuuuch easier and efficient!
Last edited by FMiguelez on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
PoliticalBonobo

FMiguelez wrote: There's your culprit right there. You're duplicating and using redundant bundles because of the aux tracks. Why don't you buss VEO directly to audio tracks instead? Muuuuuuch easier and efficient!
I guess I'll do it that way. The only thing is I won't be able to bounce with tracks with effects/processing applied, since those will be on the audio tracks :(