Recommended Windows laptop for remote setup?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cbergm7210
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recommended Windows laptop for remote setup?

Post by cbergm7210 »

I realize this has probably been discussed plenty, and is a pretty rudimentary question, but...

Long time Mac / DP user here and want to set up a remote system to work from. (Working in DP is the full time job.)

Assuming getting a Windows laptop is the least expensive option to go with for this, and one can see thousands of options out there for refurbished Windows laptops, would any of you fine intelligent fellows be willing to lend your opinions on what sort of machine one would get to do basic DP work with at a remote location? Work that I would take back to the studio and finish there, in other words.

Mainly just to do arranging and basic mixing of songs, scores, etc. I do have external monitors to facilitate a two screen setup.

Any reputable sources would be welcome, aside from Ebay, which I have nothing against.

Any random thoughts? :) Thank you in advance, Motunation brothers.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

http://www.rfjmusic.com
rickorick

Re: Recommended Windows laptop for remote setup?

Post by rickorick »

Why not look for a used Macbook Pro?
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

rickorick wrote:Why not look for a used Macbook Pro?
The expense, mainly. Windows machines look to be half the price for similar horsepower. Figured I'd give it a try with the Windows route.
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Dual Quad Core Nahalem, 16 Gigs RAM, DP 9, RME Fireface 800, MOTU MIDIexpress 128, Mac OS 10.8.5

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Fact is, Finale runs better on a Windows machine and there are music handwriting recognition apps for the PC. None for the Mac I am aware of. I hate PCs, but I'll probably make my next laptop a PC if Apple keeps going in the current direction.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cbergm7210

Post by cbergm7210 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Fact is, Finale runs better on a Windows machine and there are music handwriting recognition apps for the PC. None for the Mac I am aware of. I hate PCs, but I'll probably make my next laptop a PC if Apple keeps going in the current direction.
Right on, Mike. I want a setup to take to my folk's little lake house an hour from here so I can work outside this studio I've been sitting in every day for 23 years. Figured it would give a bit of inspiration to the workflow to get away a few days a month.

Really any ideas about a portable setup that is good enough to compose on I would welcome. Install DP with some pianos and basic orchestral VI's, drums, etc. There are so many choices for used Windows laptops out there I just don't want to get something that's going to bog down.

What about a machine like this?

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HP ... =5#reviews

Anyone have an opinion? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?