one more quick scribe question if you please

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

one more quick scribe question if you please

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Running dp8 with a motu MIDI express xt (new one). Unless I'm wrong, it gives me the ability to play 16 different/separate MIDI tracks/channels to each of 8 separate MIDI devices plugged into it (the xt). If I'm wrong, stop me now and I'll put the xt on ebay tomorrow.
Anyway, assuming I'm correct, then in DP8, I have 16 tracks laid out for each of my devices. (BTW, the only reason I use DP8 is recording MIDI). So as it sits, each 16 are alloted their own color. (Would I be doing THAT right so far?).
So for instance, my controller, an Alesis 8.1 takes up the first 16 tracks, a Roland XV-5080 takes up tracks 17-36...and so on. That's as far as I think I need to go for this example and my problem.
Now, having the controller record notes to be played on the xv-5080 requires that I record any track from 17-36.
All is well so far.
Here's my issue with quick scribe, and maybe it has something to do with my previous quiry. When I open quick scribe, it only shows MIDI tracks 1-13. How do I get quick scribe to 'look' at the many other 80+ MIDI tracks?
I don't have to record on those first do I?...because they're all empty fields (so far)
I know it seems a long question to a short answer but I'd rather give too much info than read a reply requesting more.
And maybe this will answer my issue with quick scribe showing crazy characters. Completely unrecognizable hieroglyphics.
Thanks again. For any help
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: one more quick scribe question if you please

Post by stubbsonic »

Your controller is basically the MIDI device you have plugged into ANY of the MIDI in ports. Your other devices (sound modules, synths, etc.) are plugged into MIDI out ports-- and 16 channels per device.

I find it helpful to think of all connections in terms of RECORDING (to interface inputs) and PLAYBACK. In fact, when I label my MIDI cables, I just put PLAY on some and REC on others. But generally, as I know when device is sending and which device is receiving, I can follow it in the same way I think of a signal path.

For me (on a Mac), I need to select the tracks I want to view before opening the QS window. Only the selected tracks will appear, regardless of whether they have any data recorded.

Also, on my system, I can only see the number of staves that will fit on a page. So extra staves will just get cut off at the bottom. I don't know if this is different on Windows, but on a mac, I can set up a custom sized piece of virtual paper in my Page Setup. Or better still, I can set up a zoom setting there (like 50% or lower) to fit larger number of measures and staves per page. For the former, I'd need to take it somewhere to print on larger paper, for the latter, it would just be tiny and hard to read.

As for the heiroglyphs, I hope you figure that out. I can't see that as being related to this at all. That seems to be a font issue. But if it is, something is broken, because you don't get to choose the quickscribe font, it SHOULD be hardwired.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
raikageninja
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by raikageninja »

Ctrl+Shift+T opens the Track Selector window, here you can toggle visibility of individual tracks. As stubbsonic said, if you need to see a large number of staves at once you may need to adjust your zoom settings.
Windows 10 PC Build
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
DP9.01
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

To be clear, changing the zoom settings on the QS window won't fit more on the page. It has to be the zoom settings on the page setup (or whatever the windows equivalent is).
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com