that syncing feeling...

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

that syncing feeling...

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Ok, so anyway, here it is;
I'm on win 7 64, I have a motu MIDI express XT USB (the new one), updated. I run DP8. I also have a Roland VS2480 daw.
I use the 2480 for all my analog recordings, and DP8 for all my MIDI sequencing.
I have DP8 set to master, 2480 as slave.
Here's my situation. For months now I just can't get a reliable sync. I've tried everything I can think of, except the correct way to get these two to cooperate.
In the XT I can set clockwork any which fashion and say, with one setting I can prevent the dreaded stuck notes and all works fine, except DP8 won't return to zero, in fact the timing won't budge at all. However DP8 WILL start from zero (as slave) and stop, but hitting rtz on the master 2480...nothing.
So a different setting in clock works results in start/stop/rewind working as it should, but I get stuck/hanging notes.
I'm pulling my hair out over this. (Pictures on request).
I don't know what I might be leaving out...
Oh! I've tried using DP8 as master but try as I might, I can't get the 2480 to respond in any fashion. FYI, the Roland vs 2480 only responds to mtc (if that'll help). I don't care which is slave/master as long as I can get it to work.
I've ticked every option in transmit/receive/MIDI settings, but there ARE so many variations of options I must be missing something.
Motu MIDI express XT USB suggests using a powered USB hub between it and the laptop USB input, which I do in fact have.
Fyi the 2480 can send word clock and has a smpti connection as does the motu xt. Can things be run that way? And if so, how is that done?
I hope I've given enough details that someone out there can get me thru this
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thank you for checking out my problem
Joni
raikageninja

Re: that syncing feeling...

Post by raikageninja »

I'll give it a shot. Fair warning, I've never tried syncing devices like this. But as a guy who likes both being helpful and learning new things, I have tried to look up some answers for you. It sounds like you want the Roland to transmit MIDI Machine Code (MMC) to Digital Performer to have hardware control over transport functions and have DP transmit MIDI Time Code (MTC) back to sync up location. Setting up both parties to do this seems to be pretty complicated but from what I gather, it looks something like this:

MASTER VS-2480 Settings :

1. Press [UTILITY].

2. Press [PAGE] to display MIDI over the [F5] button. Press [F5].

3. On the MIDI Parameter page Set “MIDI THRU” to “OUT”.

4. Set “SysEx. Tx Sw” to select “ON”.

5. Set “MMC” to “MASTER”.

6. Press F6 [EXIT].

7. Press F6 again for [SYNC].

8. Set “SYNC MODE” to “EXT”.

9. Set “EXT SYNC SOURCE” to “MIDI IN”.

10. Set “Frame Rate” to “30”.

(Taken from http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... ether-via/)

In Digital Performer:

Make sure the the frame rate in DP is set to 30fps non drop.

Set the same sample rate in DP as you'll be using to record in the Roland (Not exactly necessary if you're not sharing digital audio or word clock between the two but best practice to do it anyway)

Make sure the vs2480 is properly set up under MIDI devices in the Bundles window. If the device is not there already click add to create it, set it's I and O to whichever ports you have it connected to on the MIDI Express, Alt click on the device's name to rename it, double click it to go into it's settings. Make sure MTC Transmit and Receive is on. Under Features turn MIDI Machine Control on, and set the SysEx Device ID to match the Roland's Device ID (you may have to dig into the Roland's manual for this one, I'm not sure).

Next, go to transmit sync in your preferences. There will be a drop down menu under 'Transmit MTC to:' The Roland should appear here if set up in bundles, select it. After this I think you should be good to go. For more info I'd recommend reading Chapters 85 and 86 in the DP8 user guide.

If you're getting hanging notes I believe that would be related to setting the MIDI beat clock between Digital Performer and whatever MIDI Controller or Sound Module you're using, and I'm not sure how you have that set up.

Hopefully this helps, if not well at least I learned some things today, and maybe someone who knows what they're doing more than me can save the day.
Windows 10 PC Build
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
DP9.01
HARDDRlVER

Re: that syncing feeling...

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Thank you for going to so much trouble. I'll let you know my results.
Thank you again, you've really taken some time here to help me