DP8 & creating templates etc

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HARDDRlVER
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP8 & creating templates etc

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Exactly what is included in the creation of templates. I ask because 'the next project' needs to have all the various settings as the current as I'm closing this and creating the new one.
Thing is, upon opening up the various tabs, I still have to dial in certain settings which were not carried over.
#1-To begin with, in the mixer section I need to have the odd/even channels panned hard left/hard right. Most of my projects will require this so it would be nice if it were carried over.
#2-Also, the coloring of the tracks-after changing them to my preferences, can they be carried over to a new project as well?
#3-One more;the settings in the MIDI syncing parameters.
It would be really nice to create a new project and have EVERYTHING 'my way' by default.
So far I've had no luck, other than being able to 'template' the quantity of audio/MIDI tracks.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 & creating templates etc

Post by FMiguelez »

Create a new project, with everything the way you like, including initial MIDI parameters setup for VIs, etc.

Then save this DP project normally and call it "your template". Every time you start a new DP session, duplicate this entire folder, put it wherever you need, and start working from there.

This should keep ALL your settings intact.

Regular DP templates don't remember MIDI CCs, notes or audio.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

"Every time you start a new DP session, duplicate this entire folder, put it wherever you need, and start working from there.'"
I'm sorry, I don't understand this.
If I'm starting a new session what am I duplicating if I'm starting with a 'blank slate' so to speak. What folder?
Sorry, still lost.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Every time you create a new DP project, you create a new folder where DP places everything related to the session, such as the Audio folder, the DP session document, the Autosave folder, the Clippings folder, etc. You can see this in the Finder.
Open the newly created DP document and set everything the way you want, including MIDI CCs, track assignments, bundles, etc. Once you're happy, save the document normally. This is your DP template.

To work on a new project, all you have to do is duplicate that main folder (with everything inside), and put this duplicate in your audio disk. Then simply double click on the DP document to open your previously-saved template. So you'll work from this duplicate.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I do this process sometimes. If the templates feature misses too much, or if I have some very specific needs, I do it all "semi-manually".

Here is a full-process description as an example:

Say I have a current project that has lots of stuff in it (settings, routings, etc.) that I want to keep and use with a second project... [As an aside, I'll sometimes just make another chunk and work inside the same project, but to continue...]... First, I can either make a full-copy of the folder in Finder, or I can use DP's Save A Copy As.... File command. For the latter, depending on the specific situation, I may or may not check the box (duplicate audio and copy shared samples to project). Usually I leave that unchecked.

Next, I open the copy (that is now my new "template", but let's not call it that-- because that's confusing). That copy is just a new DP project that I am using as a starting point project. It still needs more preparation. Now, I need to quickly remove any content I don't want (audio & MIDI, conductor track things, tempo, meter, markers, automation, etc.).

For audio, I need to preserve the original project's audio. SO, if I know I made a full copy including audio, I can delete the audio in the soundbites window. If I DIDN'T make a full copy (i.e., if I left the "Duplicate audio..." box UNCHECKED) then I don't delete the audio, but rather just select all of it and use the "Remove from list" command near the bottom of the soundbites window mini-menu.

Now that I've cleared out the content, (except perhaps some automation snapshots to save pans, etc.) I'm ready to save, again.

Ok. Now I've got that "starter project" all ready to go. I've saved it as "5-piece Arrangement Starter Project"

Now, when I want to use that starting-point project, I first create a duplicate of that folder in Finder (I can also do this in DP, as well). Then I rename the folder and the project. Then I open that with DP and start working. I do that every time I want to start a new project with that project as a starting basis.

I have no doubt there are easier ways to accomplish the above. But that is just a way to make sure you keep things that a template won't hold.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

I haven't been able to read the instructions but judging by what I just glanced on I'm certain you've helped me immensely.
I gave nothing but praise for the guy who goes,out of his way to help.
Thank you so much.
Joni
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Oh, and I'm just seeing you are on Windows, so there will be some other little differences with what you do in your file management system. I think the stuff with DP will be the same, though.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HARDDRlVER

Post by HARDDRlVER »

Differences, like 'finder' which assuming is a Mac term?
I kinda see where you're going with this.
Both answers seem to lean toward just using a previous project and deleting all the old audio. I see there's more to it than that but anyway...
I though I was missing something altogether that should've been there as an option in the 1st place. But I guess that's not how dp is built.
Odd that you can't simply create a template that would have everything you need to start with.
In my case I don't need much outside what a template saves, not yet anyway.
My requirement lies with slaving and constantly having to go into the MIDI clock/mtc settings.
It'd be nice to have that done as I load a template.

One more thing I noticed that maybe should be posted as a separate topic but I'll take a shot here anyways.
I'm running out of my laptop which has the DP8..out a spdif optical into my Roland VS2480. At times I'll drop a cd into the laptop and play it out the optical into the waiting DAW. I found the other night that if DP8 is running, it won't let the audio cd play...or at least be heard. I can see in windows media player that it's playing but no sound no matter what I do.
I can't find a way to import the cd directly into DP8 to see if it will work that way.
The only thing that let's the cd be heard is shutting down dp8, and at times that's just not an option.
Any thoughts on that?
I may still post this as a separate thread anyways...and still...thanks for all your help