Continuous Data scaling

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
abacus66
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Continuous Data scaling

Post by abacus66 »

Hi there!

Is it possible to scale the range of the continuous data from, for example, 0-127 to 0-100? I mean that these values must be recalculated not limited.

Thanking you in anticipation.
-==-
#define QUESTION ((bb) || !(bb))
-= (C) 1601 William Shakespeare =-
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Continuous Data scaling

Post by stubbsonic »

In the Region Menu, there is Change Continuous Data... which offers a scale function. That'll do it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
abacus66

Post by abacus66 »

As I can see we have Add.../Limit.../Change%. So do I have to calculate percent to change range of controller? Of course it's not difficult. But I meant something different. For example, change CC#11 from 0-127 to 45-100.
-==-
kdm

Post by kdm »

Compression would be useful here. It's available for velocity, so perhaps MOTU can add it for CC data as well.
reedster

Post by reedster »

You might try the Reshape Tool. Set Reshape Action to Scale.
It's not required to set Reshape Mode to Straight Line but for many jobs this setting is a good starting point.

Select the data. Use your mouse to draw above or below the data to be changed, notice the scale markings that appear on the left once you start drawing. Less than 100% decreases existing values.

Takes a few passes to get how it works but I find it more flexible than Change Continuous Data.
MacBook Pro 9,1 15" 16gb | 10.12.4 | DP 9.13 | xAir | NI | WIVI | Garritan | Izotope | Bidule
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'd suggest that you first scale it by percent. Then offset it by just adding a constant value to the entire selection.

So, we are usually starting with values from 0-127, and you want a range of 45 to 100. The latter is a range of 55 values (the range between 45 & 100). You would start by scaling everything by 55/128 (55 divided by 128) = 43%, then do a second process where you add 45 to all values. I'm pretty sure this is right.

Let me test my meager algebra skills:

Let's say X is the bottom value of your range, and Y is the top value of your range, and Z is the percentage that you scale.

Z = (Y-X)/128

Then add X to all values to bring all the relative values up intact to the new range.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
abacus66

Post by abacus66 »

Thanks for suggestion. I've got it. The idea was as from Sonar X "Find/Change".
-==-