DP Themes building question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

DP Themes building question

Post by kdm »

As there are no 3rd party themes for DP on Windows, I am building my own.

Does anyone know what elements affect the color of the background and divider lines for the track list in the Tracks window (as well as Track Selector lists in the mixer, Sequence Editor, etc), and the section just below the tracks list? I have pretty much everything else figured out, but there are interdependencies that don't seem to respond reliably here. At times, one parameter removes every other color change set in the Style.xml file, but when trying the same parameter again later, nothing happens - probably a bug since it has only happened a couple of times, and doesn't repeat consistently.
corbo-billy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP Themes building question

Post by corbo-billy »

kdm wrote:As there are no 3rd party themes for DP on Windows, I am building my own.
The different Themes are compatible Windows and Appleplatform: no different formats _
A member of this site manufactures a few ; it's visible HERE _
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
kdm

Post by kdm »

corbo-billy wrote:
kdm wrote:As there are no 3rd party themes for DP on Windows, I am building my own.
The different Themes are compatible Windows and Appleplatform: no different formats _
A member of this site manufactures a few ; it's visible HERE _
I've looked at those. Not really what I am looking for - too much brown and straight grey. Unless there are additional files sent after purchase, the ones I looked at are missing all of the resource graphics and xml files and have a lot of OSX Cocoa files not needed for Win themes.
Booter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Booter »

There's no difference in the theme implementation on the two platforms. You should be able to take any mac theme and move it to windows with some simple file name or folder name changes. You might not even need to do that. A few years ago, a couple of guys made third party mac themes and they should work on windows unless they're out of date and don't work on mac either. Also, if I remember correctly you can copy the motu themes and hack them pretty easily on either platform. I've done a lot of that but not for a few years. I got used to the built in themes.
Digital Performer 2.7 - 8.0, Logic 9, PT 8, MacBook Pro Core i7 16 gig, Quad Mac Pro 6 gig, Mac Mini 2 gig, Roland XP-50, Kurzweil K2000, MOTU 2408 MK3, MOTU Mach 5 II, Ethno
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Booter wrote:I got used to the built in themes.
Me too, HERE : let us share your creations _ :wink:
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

At times, one parameter removes every other color change set in the Style.xml file, but when trying the same parameter again later, nothing happens - probably a bug since it has only happened a couple of times, and doesn't repeat consistently.
I don't see any bugs - but you have to check all the parameters as there are many that have the RGB colours - some share the same colours but aren't the same parameter. I have learned by trial and error but I can't teach you every parameter - you just have to do what I did and keep experimenting. However I think you should look again at Amplidood's and Corbo Billy's. I made some of mine available too but haven't done for a while - but the ones available are not all brown or dark.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Don't forget to restart the modified Theme from the D.P.'s Preferences at the slightest change to see the result.
Sometimes restart completely Digital Performer is also helpful .
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

corbo-billy wrote:Don't forget to restart the modified Theme from the D.P.'s Preferences at the slightest change to see the result.
Sometimes restart completely Digital Performer is also helpful .
Yep - second that.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

Hello Guitar Gaz: how are you ?
kdm

Post by kdm »

Guitar Gaz wrote: I have learned by trial and error but I can't teach you every parameter - you just have to do what I did and keep experimenting.
I have figured out most everything and customized most of the active/inactive buttons, designed my own color scheme to provide better contrast for key elements and less eye strain (still working on new fader and knob designs). I only needed to find the tracks list background parameter(s).

Below are the parameters I haven't figured out yet as they either don't respond at all (yes, I refresh the theme selection in prefs), or in some undetermined circumstances, one or more of these will override all other color prefs in Style.xml - that's the bug I was referring to. I seriously doubt the color interdependencies would be intentionally unpredictable - even if there is a base color that creates an alpha channel or background base for everything else, it should appear at least for parameters that are set to some blending format (screen, multiply, etc):

kEmptySpaceColor
kPanelBackground
kPanelFrame
kPanelUnderline
kBasicBackground
kBasicBackgroundAccent

The reason I am asking is because I can't see any reliable effect from these and a handful of others, and when I did, the whole xml-drive side of the color scheme was way off anything I had defined. Hence it could be a bug tied to the Windows version (I seem most of you are on Mac). It's very difficult to use trial and error when there could be a bug tied to how color overlays and alpha channels work with DP on Win 8.1. It helps to be able to rule out a few variables to figure out which are interdependent parameters with unexpected or rare interactions, and which are actual bugs.
Last edited by kdm on Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

corbo-billy wrote:Hello Guitar Gaz: how are you ?
Good - and you?
I posted my pictures of my Nano theme and mostly using that one - what about you?
Gary Shepherd
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

kdm wrote: kPanelUnderline
Hi kdm _

It's necessary that you seek and review as and when your changes in all windows. Personally, I have not found all correspondence / different lines of the .xml file but I will enlighten you on at least one which is quite easy.
It's bizarr that you have not seen nothing in Digital Performer after change the color of the "kPanelUnderline" line for example .

We see two red lines on this small window and many others in the DP Preferences to separate certain areas.

Good luck for the future _

Yes, Guitar Gaz, I saw your new Theme in another discussion with Andy: you progress but I must look again because I went quickly.
kdm

Post by kdm »

corbo-billy wrote:
kdm wrote: kPanelUnderline
Hi kdm _

It's necessary that you seek and review as and when your changes in all windows. Personally, I have not found all correspondence / different lines of the .xml file but I will enlighten you on at least one which is quite easy.
It's bizarr that you have not seen nothing in Digital Performer after change the color of the "kPanelUnderline" line for example .

We see two red lines on this small window and many others in the DP Preferences to separate certain areas.
Thanks, that one is somewhat apparent. But underline elements aren't of a concern at the moment as they are more ornamental. Those are easier to figure out via trial and error. I'll give MOTU a call and see what I can encourage them to tell me.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

kdm wrote: I'll give MOTU a call and see what I can encourage them to tell me.
I have already written to MOTU with my bad English and they advised me not to touch the Themes and the .xml file.
I just asked them the meaning of some lines of the .xml file _ :oops: