4k TV or display with DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
kdm
Primary DAW OS: Windows

4k TV or display with DP

Post by kdm »

Is anyone running a 4k display or TV (or Ultrawide 3440x1440) with DP on Windows? I am wondering how it scales. Text is rather tiny at 1080p, but I am thinking 40" and above would probably work. A single large display seems to fit the consolidated window approach well. I could use the extra screen real estate.
e.Blue

Re: 4k TV or display with DP

Post by e.Blue »

Performer is completely unusable on a 4K monitor, even with desktop scaling enabled. At 4k there are some sections of the program where the text is completely illegible no matter how close you get to the screen. I honestly can't even see how anyone could use it running at 1080p. The current fonts look very bad and its really hard to believe that anyone is able to use it for any serious work under Windows. I'm glad that I demoed it before upgrading my old Mac version.

-e.B
kdm

Post by kdm »

Well, that's disappointing, but expected. The fonts and some graphics are way too small. MOTU really needs to rework a good bit of the GUI, at least on the PC side. Just grabbing velocity points is rather difficult on a 1080p screen.

How is it on retina/Mac displays? I assume they are scaling there so it doesn't look any smaller.
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

On my retina display, velocities and tempos are tiny and hard to grab. Some screen text is too small for me. but it is not awful, just less than ideal.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
kelldammit

Post by kelldammit »

stubbsonic wrote:On my retina display, velocities and tempos are tiny and hard to grab. Some screen text is too small for me. but it is not awful, just less than ideal.
i'm only running 1080p (17" display), and find it pretty much fine. now i'm curious to get my hands on a 4k to see how it behaves.

Note: there's a simple (undo-able) mod you can do that replaces the velocity carats with dots...they're not much bigger, but they did help me quite a bit. i've always had problems with that, even on older mac versions.
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.